Iceland Adventure to the Westfjords.

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If you've opened this thread looking for the Ride Report it's been tagged onto the end of this planning stage so jump ahead to post #100 :thumb

First off, I really hadn't planned on an lads Iceland trip in 2018 but a few guys are coercing me into leading one around the West Fjords region.

That's pretty much this area in red although much of the northern part is uninhabited and I would add the Snaefellsness Peninsular and some of the Western Interior to the route.
1200px-Vestfir%C3%B0ir_in_Iceland.svg.png

This isn't intended to be as full on as the previous trips to Iceland, the Westfjords are a stunning region, so a more relaxed trip with the emphasis on having a look around, wild camping and exploring a couple of the trails which I've also not ridden yet. (to keep my interest up ;) ) .

On the way up
DSCF4338-XL.jpg

P1020023-XL.jpg

P1020672-XL.jpg

P1020664-XL.jpg

IMG_1644-XL.jpg

P1020724-XL.jpg

20045664_10211785235118756_5700889576894426325_o.jpg

20157974_10211775992607699_1507023387586821290_o.jpg

So, you get an idea of this area.

If you know how to ride a GS then I'd say this year will be much, much easier that the previous trips we've been doing with no major rivers to cross and any trails not fancied by anyone can easily be bypassed.

Dates.
Trying to fit this in with myself and the others who are already going, we're looking at a 10 day slot either end of July or early August.

There's places for a few more of course (otherwise I wouldn't be posting this:blast:D).

The only thing I'll say about this, is if your thinking of coming but on a dirt bike and wanting to ride at enduro speeds then I may as well tell you to piss off now........ it'll save saying it in the future :D:D:D

In an effort to keep the costs down, I've already mentioned the intention to wild camp where suitable but more importantly I'm try to work it so there's only a maximum of one night in Reykjavik where it can be expensive as many of you know.

Costs will be similar to the last couple of year's trips, will come up with the figure when the 2018 shipping prices are finalised.
There's also a ferry crossing useful on this route which has been in the region of £70 each time I've used it.
Return flights for July/Aug are around the £100 mark at the moment

Did I mention wild camping?

IMG_1738-XL.jpg

Hi when you post these trips are you looking for your pals to go,or would you consider taking someone who would just like to go subject to having the relevant skills which I would need more info on,

Hi when you post these trips are you looking for your pals to go,or would you consider taking someone who would just like to go subject to having the relevant skills which I would need more info on,

No, I although I do already know those going it's open to anyone.

As far as skills go put it this way, my wife has ridden all these trails :beerjug:

As far as skills go put it this way, my wife has ridden all these trails :beerjug:

Well thats a good start,how can I get more info etc definitely could be interested

Signed up and looking forward to it Tim. The last trip there with you was feckin brilliant :thumb2

Tim!!

Can I have a tentative place and firm up when you know the dates?

I’m obviously in Tim. Can’t wait, loved the last Iceland trip and never been up to the NW.

F
Well thats a good start,how can I get more info etc definitely could be interested

I notice that he didn't bother to tell you that his wife is Patsy Quick :D

Back
Top Bottom