Jump Start

Lofty

Reaction score
Hello all,

Against my better judgment I'm considering starting my GSA TC with the assistance of jump leads. The symptoms are that the current battery is 6 yrs old and now seems to not have enough power to crank the bike at a speed sufficient to let it catch. Unfortunately I've been abroad for a while and despite charging the battery fully according to the Optimate it won't start.

I'm going to source a new battery this week but even that isn't as easy as I thought as the threads on here give multiple options and I only want to buy once .. In the interim I need to get the bike running just to convince myself it is only the battery,

So in the old days I used to jump my MGB on a regular basis and I was always taught to have the engine running on the "donor" car but several posts here indicate that the engine on the other vehicle should not be running.

Thoughts ...

It’s no problem just connect jump leads and start. I think the reason for not having the donar car running is to protect it as a surge of power as the vechicle starts could damage the cars own electrics. I’ve never seen it. JJH

Use proper jumpleads to limit inrush of current to the existing battery.

Be aware that once started - the battery may be in such a condition that it doesn't support a run on the bike.

Al

The starter pulls about 200 Amps so running the donor engine wont help a great deal. Electrical spikes from the starter just might risk damage to the donor electrics so best to leave it (bike or car) switched off.

I carry a pair of jump leads with me at all times ;)

I have a spare car battery charged and on the bench if i need one at home, as well as her car ( whichever is closer)

Nothing worse than going through the startup sequence to be met with a dull clunk as the starter wont turn, but the solenoid engages

Its like a daily spin of the roulette wheel ;)

I have a spare car battery charged and on the bench if i need one at home, as well as her car ( whichever is closer)

Nothing worse than going through the startup sequence to be met with a dull clunk as the starter wont turn, but the solenoid engages

Are you saying you have access to 2 spare batteries and carry jump leads? JJH

My JMT LiFePo is interesting on cold mornings. Starter turns slowly. Run it for a few turns, pause and try again. This time it flings the engine nicely with oil now pre-circulated around the engine. Win Win. :)

The LiFePo as your probablly aware needs to warm the cells to get the full amperage out of it in cold weather.

If your having that many issues with the battery and given the age ,peace of mind would say to replace it before total failure.

The LiFePo as your probablly aware needs to warm the cells to get the full amperage out of it in cold weather.

If your having that many issues with the battery and given the age ,peace of mind would say to replace it before total failure.

They do that. A bit disconcerting at first but I suspect its actually better for the engine.

Back
Top Bottom