Gearbox bearing seal issue.

GarMc

Reaction score
Following on from my clutch saga during which I replaced the gearbox output shaft seal said same seal started pi$$ing out oil.

Fitted a second genuine seal which also pissed out oil.
I removed the second new seal to notice the "sealing washer" on the output shaft bearing is slightly damaged :blast
Can't figure how as I was super careful in removal.
So my question is.... do I now have to crack the box open and replace the effing bearing?:anger:

If it's relevant a quick Google suggests a seal insertion of 27-28mm max, mine was in 31mm (Oh Matron!)

1150?
Although it’s a sealed bearing it won’t cause any bother as long as you are confident you havnt damaged the cage behind it:comfort
There is a machined cut away at the side of the bearing to allow a bit of oil past the bearing to lube the seal it also creates a bit of a sump which helps to lube the bearing
The rubber bearing seals will pass a bit of oil anyway as these bearings are c3 and have a bit of float anyway

Yup, 1150.
Would be 99,9% sure the cage is ok, just nicked and tore the rubber a tiny bit.
Thing is I've now fitted two of these seals, both genuine @ €16ea....and both were pouring oil.
So much so that after 500m of riding there was more oil in the swingarm then after 74K Km on the original weeping seal.
To the extent I could watch it seep out under gravity and form a 1" dia pool in ~5min....
I am starting to crack up especially after the clutch faff but I've used literally hundreds of those seals in work and (honestly) only damaged one installing it.
So.......did I go in to deep :)

On the subject of seals is there anything stopping me buying a good Viton 40x25x6 LH seal from a local supplier?
At 16 yo-yo's a pop buying from the main dealer is getting pricey now that I'm heading for a hat trick of o/p shaft seals.
I'll have a BMW loyalty card soon

The seal should be flush into its housing,the felt part should just be level with the edge of the larger shaft dia.
No felt on the seal, only Viton... but it wasn't flush, it was set back slightly...a few mm. Maybe that's the issue?
Original seal was 40x25x6 new oe seal is 40x25x7..

Just by way of a quick update I appear to have resolved the issue.
It seems I was inserting too far!!!
Do not insert the seal any more than 27mm in from the end of the o/p shaft.
Found info on a K1200 owners post (same Getrag box apparently) that the correct insertion is 26-27mm, mine was 30.9.
Fitted the last seal following those details and all good.
Three effing seals @ €16ea later....

Back
Top Bottom