Triumph Tiger 955i - tell me more please!

solidstate100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As above really - thinking about maybe consolidating my bike fleet down by a couple of bikes, turning two into one as it were, and these keep popping onto my radar as of late - looking for a cheapish do it all big trailie style of bike with a decent tank range and with a bit of go (it will never be used off road, more as a one bike fits all utility type thing - and yes im well aware they are more a tourer really than anything else) and have never owned a Trumpet.......

The good? - the bad? - any thoughts? any pratfalls etc on theses to watch out for?

Appreciate any comments chaps!

:thumb2

I had one for years. Fabulous motor, my bike was pretty much 100% reliable over 40k odd miles inspite of patchy maintenance on my part, OK but not great build quality, could never get it to handle as well as I wanted to and I tried just about everything (not as good as even a stock 1150gs for example). Very comfortable for both rider and pillion - genuine all-day comfort. Very tall. Ugly and therefore undesirable to thieves. Very average brakes - you need to keep on top of caliper maintenance, but then that applies to any bike I suppose. Initial dealings with Triumph dealers resulted in my promising never to by another one! But that was ten years ago.

Great bikes, reliable and capable of high miles, respond really well to a Triumph can and map. Had 2 and really enjoyed them both

I have 2005 with 48,000 miles on it.

Totally reliable, but watch the brake callipers, they need regular attention as previously mentioned.

Fantastic motor (sound great with Quill can), loads of power, handling predictable, I use it as an everyday and winter bike leaving the GSA for European Tours.

Hagon lower shock on the rear and the same lowering on the front yoke means my short little legs can touch down.

I wish they still made these, I would have a more recent one, not too sure the 1050 is a worth replacement?

Get a late one with low miles and you’ll enjoy it for sure.

Smiffy.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 2,600
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,898
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3,114
Thanks chaps, appreciated.

Seems on balance that they are reckoned to be a decentish bike, cant seem to find much on the net re faults (apart from the caliper maintenance mentioned) - is there a particular model of the triple tiger bikes that are seen/known to be better than any others? one that sits in the sweet spot? y'know, the one to have?

Thanks chaps, appreciated.

Seems on balance that they are reckoned to be a decentish bike, cant seem to find much on the net re faults (apart from the caliper maintenance mentioned) - is there a particular model of the triple tiger bikes that are seen/known to be better than any others? one that sits in the sweet spot? y'know, the one to have?

More than decent I reckon - bit long in the tooth now but still a good bike. I bought mine as an 'interim' bike and still had it five or so years later! Under-rated.

The last 'cast wheel' version is the best. Better suspension - especially the front, and had the newer 1050 cylinder head and engine covers - plus tidier hosework. I had no problems to speak of with mine, but (minor) things to look out for is fuel gauge erratic or not working, and the decals on the plastic tank starting to bubble and peel after a while. Some of the fastners are pretty crappy and will corrode, as will the finish on the engine if you don't look after it, DAMHIK. IIRC some people had problems with an iffy charging system, but there is a mod you can do to improve it. I did the mod - never had a problem. 'Triumph Off-Road' end can and remap is a definite bonus - sounds fantastic without being annoying. The stock rear shock will probably be knackered by now but Hyperpro do a replacement which is much better than the stock item - height-adjustable too.

Forum is very good, lots of knowledgeable folk on there. I ran one for 4 years, commuting over 100 miles daily. When I sold it it looked as good as the day I bought it, and I didn’t have the time or inclination to get the toothbrush out every night after riding home. Updated fork springs, forks raised through the yokes, Hagon shock and it handled nicely. Economy was good, but not quite as good as a GS. The screen is awful, I changed it for an MRA Vario which was better but still not great. An O2 sensor eliminator made it run better for not much money.

bought one new in 2005, loved it. handled pretty well even when two up and over loaded with camping gear. only faults i had was front discs warped in first 1500 miles (replaced under warranty twice) and steering head bearings. A race can and remap works wonders . Dropped the forks 10mm to sharpen steering and fitted michelin pilot road tyres. had the bike for 4yrs until i broke my hip, (then bought a FJR1300) would i have another? oh yes.

I bought a new one ,, generally a good bike , brilliant motor !but the Low speed fuelling was awful , and the dealer was not interested ,, which was a pity because I really really liked it, but did not at the time know enough to have it sorted which is what I should have done . Only did 6K on it but no trouble with it .
If you find a good one , I would go for it, plenty of info around now on the forums :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom