The Bad Guys and Tracking Devices

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've read a couple of references about gatherings of bikes (NEC or Matlock Bath etc.) being targeted by pond life who place trackers on bikes to find out where they are kept.

Is this any more than an urban myth or does anyone have actual knowledge/experience of said practice?

I've read a couple of references about gatherings of bikes (NEC or Matlock Bath etc.) being targeted by pond life who place trackers on bikes to find out where they are kept.

Is this any more than an urban myth or does anyone have actual knowledge/experience of said practice?

My personal work experience is more cars than bikes. A gps tracker can be bought for bugger all money, and a trick that some thieves use is to test drive a brand new top of the range Merc or whatever, hide the tracker in the car and then steal it a month or so later once it's been sold. (Obviously the house is burgled to get the key, of if they're very clever they will copy the key code with some device during the original test drive).

I've not heard of the same happening with bikes but it's entirely possible. I guess what they're up against in your scenario is having the time to hide a gps on your bike without being seen. (and to hide it properly in the blink of an eye in a public bike meet aint going to be too easy .... ).

:thumb2

Urban myth

iIs it or is it just that those with any genuine knowledge of the subject do not want to post on an open forum

That's always a possibility, but it's not info that, by confirming or otherwise, has any impact on the person who posts it.

We got the resident plod to answer for us. I reckon you got off lightly.

If you want a more rigorous response ask about oil, tyres or Brexit that'll get them going.

A lot of hypercars / exotica

Dont have conventional construction methods ie lots of carbon fibe / aluminium construction

Renders any magnetic type stick on tracker near on usless.

As Giles said, the only effective way is to hide it in the car ;)

Ironic isnt it, they nick cars and leave them to see if they have trackers fitted.

yet the little buggers fit trackers to see if they can nick them lol

Back
Top Bottom