1290 SUPER ADVENTURE S

Funny how you know the back end of the mighty gsa better than the front.......anyway..Bmw never let me down on numerous trips to Africa......wonder if ktm would be such a safe bet on regular runs and 40000 miles a year ridden hard.....as opposed to bumbling along on a Ducati....till it hit a pot hole and fell apart.... suppose my panniers would be handy for all the bit that you lose.....:blast

Another consideration is

Will you be able to bolt and bungee all the trinkets on ?

Baler twine is orange though so should be OK :D

No bike to test ride.....no black super adventure s till sometime next year....£250 deposit required to order a bike you haven’t had a ride on....... Shite service KTM....... BMW don’t seem that bad after all........

John
Was in Leisure Trail this week and although they've stopped doing road bikes I'm fairly sure they'd a1290 demo bike in.
Also good people and not too far (Long Easton)

That's a shame but I can see where they (Leisure Trail) are coming from.

Andres

The way of the modern world sadly :( One of my customers owned a small Peugeot dealership he knocked it on the head after being told by Peugeot that he had to spend a serious amount of cash to meet the latest corporate image standards.

Premier KTM had 3 brand new unsold 1290S’ a couple of weeks ago, and they’ll deliver nationwide.;)

Had a ride on “S” today at Redline, Loughborough.....very nice people and helpful..... so, ride out on adventure S which was the bike I was after but in black..non available till early 2018. Chatting to customer in showroom who said I should have a ride on his adventure R with 10k on the clock and big puig screen + bits n bobs. After riding the R I am now thinking that is the better bike as it was a far better ride....very high but that’s no prob.
‘R” is available with £1000 off.......what’s it to be..???

Premier still have a couple of Black ones - or at least they did yesterday.

Only you know if you prefer the S or the R, I found the S had very stiff suspension (compared to my 1190S) and also wondered of the R might suit me better, but I only ride on the road so don't want a 21" wheel and skinny tyres.

IMO the 1290S is better than the 1190S in every department except suspension which has gone all trendy with the Semi-Active bullshit, a bit like all the shite anti-dive systems of the 1980's someone invents something that sounds great, but does not work, and then all other manufacturers get on the bandwagon.

So I either want an S with R suspension, or an R with S wheels, and for now I will continue to enjoy my 1190S.

Tough choice matey - but you should be pretty happy with either choice.

Had a ride on “S” today at Redline, Loughborough.....very nice people and helpful..... so, ride out on adventure S which was the bike I was after but in black..non available till early 2018. Chatting to customer in showroom who said I should have a ride on his adventure R with 10k on the clock and big puig screen + bits n bobs. After riding the R I am now thinking that is the better bike as it was a far better ride....very high but that’s no prob.
‘R” is available with £1000 off.......what’s it to be..???

Get the R.

It’s much nicer to ride than the S.The small screen is much better too

The 21/18 wheels give it a much nicer feel,and I doubt you will ever reach the limit of the handling.With luggage,two up you will get a slight weave above 130 mph,but in the real world that’s not going to trouble you !!

e8ac9f43c2282ceb82aece74bfdf598a.jpg

Premier still have a couple of Black ones - or at least they did yesterday.

Only you know if you prefer the S or the R, I found the S had very stiff suspension (compared to my 1190S) and also wondered of the R might suit me better, but I only ride on the road so don't want a 21" wheel and skinny tyres.

IMO the 1290S is better than the 1190S in every department except suspension which has gone all trendy with the Semi-Active bullshit, a bit like all the shite anti-dive systems of the 1980's someone invents something that sounds great, but does not work, and then all other manufacturers get on the bandwagon.

So I either want an S with R suspension, or an R with S wheels, and for now I will continue to enjoy my 1190S.

Tough choice matey - but you should be pretty happy with either choice.
100% agree Rasher....,the R did feel a better ride and whether that was due to having a few more miles on I’m not sure......trouble is I do very little off road and then it’s only the odd mule track which is hard packed gravel....I’m also wondering why £1000 off....maybe S is a better bike when it comes to sell.... both cracking bikes tho...

Get the R.

It’s much nicer to ride than the S.The small screen is much better too

The 21/18 wheels give it a much nicer feel,and I doubt you will ever reach the limit of the handling.With luggage,two up you will get a slight weave above 130 mph,but in the real world that’s not going to trouble you !!

e8ac9f43c2282ceb82aece74bfdf598a.jpg
The R was the better ride in my opinion....narrow front tyre made turning much easier...the height is ok till a bit of a camber I would imagine.... also think the residual would be better on an S as they are discounting R to get rid... the 2018 is expected to have sat nav built in which is also going to make for better resale whenever that comes.....do like the R tho with this spec....

Attachments

• A19B453A-D93A-4ED7-A52B-B9C7C755A1C8.jpg
    A19B453A-D93A-4ED7-A52B-B9C7C755A1C8.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 384
The only way the 2018 R will have sat nav built in is if they do an update to the TFT software,so it’ll be available on all bikes I would have thought.
Why buy a bike you don’t like as much just to try and gain a bit on resale value ?
Buy the bike you want !

I’m very pleased with the suspension on my S, and would say it’s as good, if not better than anything else I’ve owned.

The discounts on the R would concern me, but that aside, if you’re not going off-road, the S is the one to go for, IMO.;)

Back
Top Bottom