1290 SUPER ADVENTURE S

It's Euro 4 - same canister as the guys in California have had for a while which vents fumes from the tank to the charcoal rather than the air.

The benefit is that you get the space under the seat back.

Since it is only related to venting of the fuel tank vapour they would have to be being total twats to have it impact any warranty issues - and you could just put it back.

Rottweiler do a kit including a dongle to prevent any dash errors - not technically challenging to fit but requires the tank to come off so time consuming and a little fiddly in places. Make sure you do any other tank off jobs (e.g. horn upgrades or driving lights) at the same time. :rob

With all that f****g around to remove an unwanted brick from under the seat I might as well keep my lighter 1190, add a Hilltop remap and it will be lighter and more powerful - and with space for the toolkit.

I also believe there are also some flappy valve things for Euro-4 as well, all an utter load of bollox, I bet manufacturing all this horse shit does more harm to the environment than a few petrol fumes venting to the atmosphere, just like catalytic converters where the carbon footprint of producing one for a Motorcycle requires about 50,000 miles to repay itself - and they lose 75% of their efficiency by 10,000 and are totally f****d long before they have benefited the planet.

Just keeps these Euorocrat tosspots employed, I reckon we should have a vote on leaving that Europe union thingy.

With all that f****g around to remove an unwanted brick from under the seat I might as well keep my lighter 1190, add a Hilltop remap and it will be lighter and more powerful - and with space for the toolkit.

More powerful? How’s that then?

I think that'll be my Hilltop Dyno read out V a Hilltop Dyno read out for a 1290 that got posted on here :)

Andres

Has your bike been on Hilltops new dyno? Or has anyone with a new R or S been on Hilltops old dyno? :augie

Has your bike been on Hilltops new dyno? Or has anyone with a new R or S been on Hilltops old dyno? :augie

How should I know :nenau

All I know is that I'm the owner of one of the iconic and more powerful 1190's :JB [1]

Andres

[1] Possibly helped by having a shorty Wings fitted rather than one of those hooge, ugly, over priced and restrictive Akras :nenau

Have you done this? If so, what horn did you fit and where?

I fitted a FIAM AM80S horn (bought from my local BMW dealer).
The reasons I went with this are that it is not much bigger than OE and on my BM it worked without upsetting the CanBus.

Good News:
On the SA-S it goes straight on under the beak in the same place as the OE horn (I rotated it slightly to avoid having the outlet pointing straight into any road crud thrown up off the front wheel).

Not so Good News:
It throws a "general error" on the dash when you sound the horn because the KTM CanBus doesn't like it.
It doesn't cause any issues and won't damage the wiring, so if you don't mind ignoring the error, no worries.
You don't get any warning until you actually use the horn, so for 99% of the time you won't even see the warning.

initially I left it like that, but I'm a bit fussy (and couldn't accept that there was no way to overcome the problem), so I tried fitting a relay in the horn circuit while I had the tank off to do the charcoal canister.

That solved the issue completely and I get no more dash errors.

does the horn wire straight in or does it need any mods?

You need to wire it in via a relay. I found that if I disconnected the OE horn, then I would get an error code come up on the dashboard, but if you piggyback the wiring onto the OE horn connectors (keeping the OE horn connected as well) then you do not get error codes. Hope this helps.

You need to wire it in via a relay. I found that if I disconnected the OE horn, then I would get an error code come up on the dashboard, but if you piggyback the wiring onto the OE horn connectors (keeping the OE horn connected as well) then you do not get error codes. Hope this helps.

Great stuff, that all makes sense. Gotta say the Sound Bomb almost looks like part of the engine in the picture :) One more question, did you need to make up a bracket to mount it on or is it mounted onto one of the casing bolts?

Andres

I fitted a FIAM AM80S horn (bought from my local BMW dealer).
The reasons I went with this are that it is not much bigger than OE and on my BM it worked without upsetting the CanBus.

Good News:
On the SA-S it goes straight on under the beak in the same place as the OE horn (I rotated it slightly to avoid having the outlet pointing straight into any road crud thrown up off the front wheel).

Not so Good News:
It throws a "general error" on the dash when you sound the horn because the KTM CanBus doesn't like it.
It doesn't cause any issues and won't damage the wiring, so if you don't mind ignoring the error, no worries.
You don't get any warning until you actually use the horn, so for 99% of the time you won't even see the warning.

initially I left it like that, but I'm a bit fussy (and couldn't accept that there was no way to overcome the problem), so I tried fitting a relay in the horn circuit while I had the tank off to do the charcoal canister.

That solved the issue completely and I get no more dash errors.
Thanks.

Do you have a picture of it mounted?

I have tried to figure a way to mount a Stebel 80 Magnum (which looks remarkably like the Fiam) but the only way I could mount it was below the level of the existing unit (with a modified bracket), and that was with taking off the plastic cover.

Thanks.

Do you have a picture of it mounted?

I have tried to figure a way to mount a Stebel 80 Magnum (which looks remarkably like the Fiam) but the only way I could mount it was below the level of the existing unit (with a modified bracket), and that was with taking off the plastic cover.

It goes straight on - the diameter of the back where the mounting bolt is located in the same as OE - you just pass the FIAM's bolt through the original bracket and do it up - easy :aidan

it does thanks :thumb

Great stuff, that all makes sense. Gotta say the Sound Bomb almost looks like part of the engine in the picture :) One more question, did you need to make up a bracket to mount it on or is it mounted onto one of the casing bolts?

Andres

Denali do a mounting bracket specifically for the KTM which mounts onto the existing casing points (from memory I think they supply a couple of slightly longer bolts), which makes the install very easy. Can't show you a photo unfortunately but you may be able to find something on their website.

Denali do a mounting bracket specifically for the KTM which mounts onto the existing casing points (from memory I think they supply a couple of slightly longer bolts), which makes the install very easy. Can't show you a photo unfortunately but you may be able to find something on their website.

Ta :beerjug:

Andres

Back
Top Bottom