1290 SUPER ADVENTURE S

That’s pretty much how I viewed it last summer when I looked at changing to an SAS. It was only the drop in price on the GT that made me take the jump.

Makes sense - certainly have no worries about having a KTM out of warranty and happy to hang onto the 1190 long term or until KTM eventually do some major discounting on the 1290 SAS/R which history tells us they always do ;)

Y
Talking to the sales guy there - they have only sold two 1290 R's all year against 20+ 1290 S's.

My dealer told me they found it was 4 to 1, S sales to R back in the days of the 1190.

I'm not keen on a 212 front wheel either and as I only do tarmac riding it seems daft to go for one with a big wheel. Didn't get on with the 950 I had and the 1190S is way better, for me at least. I did look at the demo 1290S my local dealer had as they lopped 2 grand off the list price for a 500 mile example but he didn't even give me a price for my 21K 1190........because he already had 2 of them in the showroom and didn't want a third. I'm guessing the offer would have been really low with the miles mine has so paying an extra 5 or 6 grand for cruise control is outta my league.........

That said they valued my low mileage 2016 1190 S at only £7k for a part ex so will be hanging onto it for a couple of years yet ;)

I got offered way more than that for my high mileage 2016 1190S a short while ago, I also was offered more than that from 2 BMW dealers as well - and they were just going to trade it on.

Like you I am likely to hang on to my 1190 for a while, mainly because I prefer the comfort of the conventional suspension over the 1290S, If KTM suddenly have a flash sale on 1290's I would probably grab one - as stated sooner or later some deals will crop up.

The longer I wait the greater the possibly of hanging on to the 1190 as well, a future classic and thing of beauty.

Right now I am keeping an eye out for a cheap 1050 to try and get the MRs hooked on KTM's, then I can trade that in against a 1290 and give her the 1190 - everyone's a winner :D

...................whoops - just put a deposit down on a Black 1290 S :D

£12,400 on the road and descent'ish part ex with nearly everything stripped off mine.

A couple of other KTM dealers basically said they did not want my 1190 and to sell it privately - imagine BMW taking that approach :blast

Just as well the bikes are so good ;)

...................whoops - just put a deposit down on a Black 1290 S :D

£12,400 on the road and descent'ish part ex with nearly everything stripped off mine.

A couple of other KTM dealers basically said they did not want my 1190 and to sell it privately - imagine BMW taking that approach :blast

Just as well the bikes are so good ;)

Nice one Paul :beerjug:

I'll look forward to hearing how you think it compares to the 1190. When do you get it?

Andres

Be interested in your views after you have owned it a while.

.......will let you know once I have a few miles on it :beerjug:

This weekend is dedicated to removing all the bits off my old one - fortunately nearly everything will fit the 1290S which makes the change a little less painful financially ;)

Only bits that will not fit are the KTM headlight guard and the SW Motech sat nav mount - luggage, crash bars, ergo seat, bash plate etc should be a straight swap :)

One sleep to go :augie

......at least the forecast is looking good tomorrow for the long run down to Maidstone :)

.......will let you know once I have a few miles on it :beerjug:

This weekend is dedicated to removing all the bits off my old one - fortunately nearly everything will fit the 1290S which makes the change a little less painful financially ;)

Only bits that will not fit are the KTM headlight guard and the SW Motech sat nav mount - luggage, crash bars, ergo seat, bash plate etc should be a straight swap :)

KTM do a sat nav mount for the 1290S which appears to use the SW Motech mount fitted to a plate which mounts on the handlebar bolts - much prefer the high level placement of the 1190 and 1290SA-T though.
As an aside, I had a look at the 1260 Multistrada today, but I still prefer the KTM especially when cost to buy and maintenance is factored in.

KTM do a sat nav mount for the 1290S which appears to use the SW Motech mount fitted to a plate which mounts on the handlebar bolts - much prefer the high level placement of the 1190 and 1290SA-T though.
As an aside, I had a look at the 1260 Multistrada today, but I still prefer the KTM especially when cost to buy and maintenance is factored in.

Ordered this one from KTM for the 1290S - it mounts high up on the screen supports:

Just note there are 2 versions - one for the T and one for the S/R - guess which one I got first :blast For the 1290S you need part number 60712992044.

Don’t forget to allow enough lead, as it goes up and down with the screen.

Ordered myself another 1290S a few minutes ago.
Pick it up next week.

Back
Top Bottom