Side Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

transalper44

Reaction score
Out of interest, is the side stand on the latest GS's slightly longer, enabling the bike to sit more upright and if so, could it be retro fitted to 2012 hexhead GS ?

On my 2014GSA the bike did sit more upright than my 2012, this however is not a good thing as it can quite easily roll off the stand if your not careful, just a watchout

Yes the WC does have a longer side stand, it seems strange at first, but you soon get used to it. I ride on the right hand side of the road, so the camber affects it more than riding on the left. Sometimes when I pull over to admire the view or take a picture or take pee, I have to be extra careful, as sometimes the camber is too steep to get the stand down. Your other question, will one fit the Hexhead GS, I doubt it, as nothing seems to be able to interchange.

I think the latest 2018 model LC has a shorter side stand than the previous one. Recently bought a GSA rallye and it definitely leans more than the previous one, which as far as I'm concerned is a good thing!

The reason I ask, at times with a fully loaded bike ie panniers etc, the lean angle the short side-stand gives, can make it quite an effect the raise if road surface falls away even by inch or two. I know...watch where you park I hear you say but not always possible to find a flat bit. A lot of roads dip near the pavements for drainage. It was just a thought, that a longer stand may solve the problem if they were changeable.

The reason I ask, at times with a fully loaded bike ie panniers etc, the lean angle the short side-stand gives, can make it quite an effect the raise if road surface falls away even by inch or two. I know...watch where you park I hear you say but not always possible to find a flat bit. A lot of roads dip near the pavements for drainage. It was just a thought, that a longer stand may solve the problem if they were changeable.

I recognise that problem. I believe you can get a thick camel toe, so that might help. Otherwise, the stand itself is steel, so you could get a welder to extend your current stand and then hammerite it.

On my 2014GSA the bike did sit more upright than my 2012, this however is not a good thing as it can quite easily roll off the stand if your not careful, just a watchout

Especially if you park facing the wrong way in the Eurotunnel train.

Go on, which way should you face ? Bearing in mind as with all transportation (trains, ferries and lorries) one should park in gear and as an extra precaution, have the front brake lever tied closed.

Whenever I've been on it they get you to park angled across the train with front wheel to the left with respect to direction of travel. If you have to park across the train, then this seems sensible as the worst of the jolts seem to be as the train moves off, slowing down seems a bit smoother, so the bike is more likely to get thrown back against the side stand than forward off it. However, if it ever did an emergency stop then you would probably end up with a big heap of bikes on top of each other!

I would have thought having bikes in pairs pointed down the train just like the cars would be the most stable arrangement, rather than crossways, so maybe its just a question of packing more in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom