Handling of standard v reduced ride height

Ash700

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a good search before posting this thread and found a few comments but nothing definite with regards to this subject.

I’m 6’ 2” so don’t actually need the ‘reduced ride height’ option, but if this option lowers the CoG and improves the handling of the bike, it’s an option I might consider providing the difference is noticeable enough.

The standard GSA is a tall bike but I do like it’s proportions and the way it looks, so I’m wondering if the reduced ride height option will make the bike look too squat - I’ll probably have to physically view them to know that!

My main question... I’m wondering if anyone has gone from the standard ride height model to a ‘reduced ride height’ model (not the lower seat option) and would be kind enough to report whether they felt a beneficial difference in handling, or not.

I’m aware that the current GSA (standard height) is quite difficult to hold on a straight line at very slow speeds (walking speed, or less), and requires constant handlebar input causing a bit of zigzagging, so I’m also wondering if the lowered bike reduces this particular trait? Apparently the RT and the RS are rock steady at such speeds!

Thanking you for any reports, in advance.

gsa

My Standard GSA lowered 50mm with wilbers front n rear , standard seat on low front n back.
Bar risers fitted 40mm 20 up 20 back.
lower centre stand and side stand.
Im 5,7" 29 inside leg. lowered sargeant seat is thicker at the sides so pushed my legs wider, so made no difference than a standard seat.
I now swap between the standard and a touratwat kaheedo seat with a gel insert in that as well, All day comfy, both feet flat on the ground
I feel more stable on this one than i did my factory lowered 2013 GS and have dropped this less, due to being caught out on road levels or just misplacing my feet.:thumb2

Attachments

• GS 1200.jpg
    GS 1200.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 654
I rode a lowered TE for a whole day when mine was being serviced. I'm 6ft 3in with long legs and simian arms. I definitely felt that the lowered centre of gravity improved the handling, including at low speed.

Have a test ride on a lowered one. I'm sure there will be one out there somewhere.

I ride a GS, not GSA. My bike is standard. I put over 2300 miles in six weeks on a factory lowered GS loan bike.

Apart from being able to put the seat in the high position, and still being able to touch the ground! I didn't notice any difference between the bikes.

I'm in thr same position as OP - 6ft 2 and bought factory lowered as it was the right deal.

As for handling, i can only compare it with a standard GSA i rode very briefly. Not comparing apples with apples i know as there is different geometry etc. However, i found the GSA lighter (i know!) at low speed amd very stable - keep pushing to full lock and it didn't want to tip over.

Also be careful about bar reach- i'm waiting for bar risers (up and back) after some discomfort between shoulders on longer stints.

Hope that helps.

I went from a standard 14 plate GSA to a factory lowered GSA in June this year. I am not overly tall at 5'10" and an inside leg of 32". The full size GSA was very good, but I did have a few 'oh my god' moments when you needed to extend my leg at falling cambers when stopping at junctions etc, and I did drop it once very embarrassingly at a roadside caff as the camber fell away the wrong way!

Anyway, I had a test drive on a factory lowered version and initially I felt a bit put off by it as the dimensions felt a bit wrong? But I took it for a whole day and as the day progressed I thought wow, this feels much more chuckable, more like I was actually in the bike instead of perched on top if that makes sense. I was converted and ordered one on the spot.

After hooning around the UK from June all I can say is it makes me a far better rider with more confidence. I can now ride at very slow speed with much more control, and I think this is a combination of lower COG but also I know that I can touch down at any point without worrying about the camber etc. It makes it even easier for the wife to get on too. I have never had so much grin factor and although the 14 was a keeper when I bought it (or so I thought), after having the lowered version for a few months it is so much better, but very difficult to pinpoint why (obviously its slightly shorter) but I didnt think it would make such a big impact. The rest of the dimensions are the same so all day long comfort with pegs at the right angle etc. I could do with putting bar risers on and tilt them back a tiny wee bit, but I have covered 4k miles in the short time I have had it and want to do same again the minute I get off! Total riding pleasure. Love it.

I bought my first ever GS in March, and although I am 6' 1" I have a long torso and only average length legs. I had had some scary near tip over moments on other bikes, especially when loaded with pillion and luggage, so after a test ride on the standard GS decided to go with the low chassis version, and have not regretted it. The self leveling suspension ensures that the ride height, and therefore how flat you can get your feet on the floor, is very consistent regardless of load. The lowered bike also comes with the low seat option, but I changed my seats for the Exclusive Comfort Seats from Rainbow, and these have been excellent. These seats are standard height or possibly a little higher due to the better padding, but due to the low chassis I find that I am happy with the seat in the high position, though for extra security will normally ride with it in the low position when fully loaded with pillion and luggage.

The only issue with the self-leveling is that load related adjustment only takes place once on the move. I've found that if I last rode the bike two-up, this can mean if I am solo next time out there is initially a bit of a stretch to the ground until the bike re-adjusts to the smaller load and reduces the preload. Conversely if I was solo last time and then go out two-up, the bike will initially not have enough preload, and will sag so much that if I forget to retract the sidestand before my wife gets on, then it becomes trapped and she has to get off before I can retract it. Once the bike has adjusted the preload there is no problem with the stand at subsequent stops. This delayed preload adjustment is not unique to the lowered model, but I guess the sidestand issue is going to be worse for the lowered bike.

Other than that, although I only had a fairly short test ride with a non-lowered GS, I find the lowered bike significantly easier to handle, especially with a pillion on board, and find it easier to resist any tipping tendencies when stopped, which I guess is down to the lower centre of gravity. I don't ride the bike hard enough to get near the limit of the ground clearance so that is not an issue to me, and I find the handling generally to be superb. I also don't ride off road so I don't find that the reduction in suspension travel of 20 mm due to the lowering is an issue. The lowered chassis has no effect on seat to peg distance, so I would have no hesitation in recommending the lowered chassis to anyone, especially if using the bike primarily on road and with a pillion and luggage.

Fred

I have a normal height GSA, my experience of the lowered bike was as a loaner from the dealer whilst work was being carried out on my bike, it is very noticeably different, feels more like a sports tourer than a big enduro, I prefer the standard height bike ride experience.

I have a normal height GSA, my experience of the lowered bike was as a loaner from the dealer whilst work was being carried out on my bike, it is very noticeably different, feels more like a sports tourer than a big enduro, I prefer the standard height bike ride experience.

Maybe the sports tourer feel is why I like my lowered GS so much - I was originally set on having an R1200 RS but on the test ride it didn't work so well with a pillion as the GS does.

Going off piste for a minute, did anyone go to the bike show? Did you notice that nearly all the bikes from all the manufacturers had either low seats or lowered suspension? Only the man from BMW admitted it. Apart from Harley of course. I thought I had grown a couple of inches overnight.

Going off piste for a minute, did anyone go to the bike show? Did you notice that nearly all the bikes from all the manufacturers had either low seats or lowered suspension? Only the man from BMW admitted it. Apart from Harley of course. I thought I had grown a couple of inches overnight.

The Multistrada 1260 I had a sit on had a lowered seat, and seemed a bit cramped as a result.

Im 6ft 2 and tried both, GS LC 2017 models, I found I had more feet on the floor with the lowered chassis, but knees very cramped when riding, then on the standard knees less cramped and a little less foot on the ground, but both bikes rode the same for me, I went for the standard version due to knee bend angle, and future resale value later, however I do not know what seat was on either of them, being a noob to 1200GS, and also I ride a lot with the missus and loaded up so this also came into the equation, as for the length of shock travel.

Im 6ft 2 and tried both, GS LC 2017 models, I found I had more feet on the floor with the lowered chassis, but knees very cramped when riding, then on the standard knees less cramped and a little less foot on the ground, but both bikes rode the same for me, I went for the standard version due to knee bend angle, and future resale value later, however I do not know what seat was on either of them, being a noob to 1200GS, and also I ride a lot with the missus and loaded up so this also came into the equation, as for the length of shock travel.

I believe that there is no difference in the frame of the bike, just the suspension, so given the same seat type then there should be no difference in seat to peg distance. However, I think the lowered chassis bike is supplied as standard with the low height seat, so if the non-lowered bike had a standard height seat, then the difference in knee bend you experienced was probably just due to the different seats.

I believe that there is no difference in the frame of the bike, just the suspension, so given the same seat type then there should be no difference in seat to peg distance. However, I think the lowered chassis bike is supplied as standard with the low height seat, so if the non-lowered bike had a standard height seat, then the difference in knee bend you experienced was probably just due to the different seats.

Yep agree with that, as I did not know about the different seats at the time.

Origional main question from the op was whether there is a noticeable difference in handling. Some of the replies do not answer your question and several refer to being able to getting feet on ground or not. I think the question refers to both bikes when they are on the move with feet on bars and if so here’s the answer you seek - I’ve had both and there isn’t any difference in cornering or going slow etc etc. In the right hands they both handle perfectly in all situations.

Origional main question from the op was whether there is a noticeable difference in handling. Some of the replies do not answer your question and several refer to being able to getting feet on ground or not. I think the question refers to both bikes when they are on the move with feet on bars and if so here’s the answer you seek - I’ve had both and there isn’t any difference in cornering or going slow etc etc. In the right hands they both handle perfectly in all situations.

A bit harsh on some of the replies :) - the OP wanted to know about handling, and in my view that includes at slow speeds and stationary where security of footing is a key difference, and in fact specifically asked about very slow speed handling where I think the lower centre of gravity comes into play and helps with maintaining balance and directional stability.

I had a good search before posting this thread and found a few comments but nothing definite with regards to this subject.

I’m aware that the current GSA (standard height) is quite difficult to hold on a straight line at very slow speeds (walking speed, or less), and requires constant handlebar input causing a bit of zigzagging, so I’m also wondering if the lowered bike reduces this particular trait?
A bit of a generalization if you don’t mind me saying so. How are you aware? By your own admission you have found nothing definitive. I have a 2017 GSA and have not found the trait you describe.
It is admittedly, a big bike but I’ve always found it rock solid in all situations. It does take some getting used to after other bikes- as an example, it’s about 5 stone heavier than my previous 2011 twin cam GS and the C of G is higher as a result of the greater fuel load. It is very stable at low speeds and the clutch is smooth and allows non snatchy feathering at low speeds when needed. I will admit that I’m 6’5” and 20 stone so maybe I’m ideally proportioned for the bike. I will also admit that I tend to put some time into practicing low speed manouvering with any new bike, to get a good feel for it so it becomes second nature.
Try an extended test ride - you may be surprised by how the weight disappears when on the move.:thumb2
Alan R

Anyway, I had a test drive on a factory lowered version and initially I felt a bit put off by it as the dimensions felt a bit wrong? But I took it for a whole day and as the day progressed I thought wow, this feels much more chuckable, more like I was actually in the bike instead of perched on top if that makes sense. I was converted and ordered one on the spot.

The factory lowered bike also has the low seat, which is probably why you feel more sat in, rather than on the bike:beerjug:

I have a 2017 Lowered GSA with standard GSA seat and can get my feet down easily, I'm 5ft 7" and it really inspires confidence for me.
I much prefer the handling of this bike compared to the 2016 GS I had before, it feels lighter and I feel I can do so much more with it.
4000 miles in 6 months and absolutely loving it :thumb

A bit harsh on some of the replies :) - the OP wanted to know about handling, and in my view that includes at slow speeds and stationary where security of footing is a key difference, and in fact specifically asked about very slow speed handling where I think the lower centre of gravity comes into play and helps with maintaining balance and directional stability.

Not intended pal, but the op at 6’2” is hardly going to have a problem on either bike getting his feet down. And as for the comment about the bike seeming to wander at low speeds ? It’s the rider that has the problem and not the bike. A lowered bike is hardly likely to rectify this situation is it ?

Back
Top Bottom