Clutch clunking

Rivabill

Reaction score
Hi all, all new to the gs world, I have a r1200gs 2006 with 64 k on it, full BMW service history.

I'm hearing a clunking noise when I pull the clutch lever in and out, is this normal or is there something a miss ?
I've owned a blackbird for the last 5 years so I hope I'm just used to the Honda engine sound lol
Kind regards
Bill

64k could be getting on for a new clutch especially if it's had a lot of 2 up riding ,look up a guy on here called steptoe he could tell u more :beerjug:

Hi all, all new to the gs world, I have a r1200gs 2006 with 64 k on it, full BMW service history.

I'm hearing a clunking noise when I pull the clutch lever in and out, is this normal or is there something a miss ?
I've owned a blackbird for the last 5 years so I hope I'm just used to the Honda engine sound lol
Kind regards
Bill

Having owned both I'd say it's normal.

My gearbox rattles in neutral with clutch lever released. Sounds a bit like a cam chain, but noise stops when lever is pulled.

I sometimes get a clonk from FD if I'm a bit sudden with the clutch. Not something I try to do too often :eek:

You can quite easily check if the push rod is OK. Two M6 torx screws hold the slave cylinder to back of gearbox. Pop that of and check out the push rod. No need to open the hydraulics. It should have a felt pad in the middle. Maybe that's what the pad is for.

My '05 1200ST makes all sorts of noises, always has, never got any worse in 6 years of ownership. I put it down to the bellhousing around the clutch acting as a sort of sound chamber - any relatively small noise gets amplified no end! I usually ride with earplugs in - the last time I didn't bother, the noise was like someone banging on a biscuit tin with a hammer! :eek: Perhaps get someone 'in the know' to have a listen for you, just to put your mind at rest....then get those earplugs in! :)

Pete

Mine sometimes makes a right old din when cold. I suspect its a cam chain tensioner but it might be a failing secondary coil not cleaning up the combustion on one side.

Kind regards
Bill

It's a dry clutch so will clunk as it engages and disengages.

Thanks very much for the replies, thought I was going to have to explain to the Mrs why I'm stripping the bike in two halfs after a week lol
If anyone's around Portsmouth this weekend then just drop me a msg
Would be cool if someone else listens to it..... even treat you to a Greggs 👍

The Ducati dry clutch can sound like a bean can full of nails (as does the big Moto Guzzi) but my Beemer has always been quiet on clutch operation.

Back
Top Bottom