AUSCHWITZ/ SLOVAKIA/HUNGARY

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just starting to plan next years trip, one or two of our group would like to visit Auschwitz, 2 days of motorway :blast to get there from Ijmuiden ferry, how much time should I allow for visiting the museum/camp etc, currently I'm thinking a morning followed by 150 miles to our next stop, does this sound right.

Also anyone with experience of Slovakia and Hungary ?, our ultimate destination is not fixed yet but hoping we have time to make either Croatia or Slovenia (a day off bikes on a beach or by the pool hopefully) before heading back to Ijmuiden via Austria and Germany, looking for scenic twisty roads in Slovakia and Hungary have done some research on line but Hungary in particular didnt bring up much for the size of the country.

Any suggestions would be helpful

I would say it will take longer than a morning but it depends if you are going to run around the camp or stop and actually look at it. There are two parts to Auschwitz, so it is park the bike, look around one site then travel to the other and repeat.

We had a great tossers trip in (I think 2010) ...

Down to Garmisch,
Across to Berchtesgaden
then a night in a place called Svaty Jur ( just outside Bratislava)
Then up to Krakow through Slovakia ( lovely roads and weather)
Two nights in Krakow (Hotel Royal near to The main square)
Two nights in Prague ( Hotel 7 Days)
Overnight in Colditz, then one stop over on the way back to the ferry

Give yourself a day for Auschwitz/Birkenau

If you ride your bike there, you can head West on leaving, brilliant roads towards Bruntal in Czech rep. ( we stayed the night in a soviet era hotel on the first Eastern Bloc Raid ( Tosser Trip) back in 2004 :thumb2)

I would suggest that you leave a day to do both Auschwitz camps, and if you are in the area maybe take in the Salt Mine.
There's a good aircraft museum as well, Lotnictwa Polskiego
Aleja Jana Pawla Ii 39
31-579, Krakow
HTH

:thumby:

We had a great tossers trip in (I think 2010) ...

Down to Garmisch,
Across to Berchtesgaden
then a night in a place called Svaty Jur ( just outside Bratislava)
Then up to Krakow through Slovakia ( lovely roads and weather)
Two nights in Krakow (Hotel Royal near to The main square)
Two nights in Prague ( Hotel 7 Days)
Overnight in Colditz, then one stop over on the way back to the ferry

Give yourself a day for Auschwitz/Birkenau

If you ride your bike there, you can head West on leaving, brilliant roads towards Bruntal in Czech rep. ( we stayed the night in a soviet era hotel on the first Eastern Bloc Raid ( Tosser Trip) back in 2004 :thumb2)

Thanks very much, really helpful, dont suppose you kept any route info between svaty jur and krackow ?

Thanks very much, really helpful, dont suppose you kept any route info between svaty jur and krackow ?

I think we just headed North and made it up as we went along.. Just had a look on google, that suggested going into czech rep...we stayed in Slovakia to the Polish border

Pablo1 Slovenia is a must if you are near, it is stunning, and if you are going on your way back its very close to either the Dolomite's or Austria or a bit of both if you have time to pass through.

We went to Poland and Slovakia (and several others) this year and passed through Hungary twice 3 years ago.

Hungary is a nice place to visit but not as a biking destination.

For biking the best bits of Poland and Slovakia we found were the Tatra mountains. It’s hard to go wrong in the region for decent bike roads. But a map (Michelin) and look for the wiggliest roads. Although I am far from an expert on the countries based on one visit. Poland is very cheap to travel around. Slovakia a bit less so. As ever though it’s what you make of it, and how you interact with the locals you bump into that makes for a good trip.

If you go to Croatia the plitvice lakes are a must. They will be busy and you may well shuffle along in a queue behind a couple of coachloads of German pensioners. It’s worth it though. Croatia coast is good. Find an FKK beach for an eye opener

Plitvice
83710d4c6900499d93e34049389228a0.jpg

732c0f9b5edd63faabd0e8f5b4149461.jpg

Tatra
bc9870c9be87e733971a49d012d729cb.jpg

afef55537f888751d046c24fe2acf8f5.jpg

e474f1d1e630906b9852e53e1213def6.jpg

I guy I have been working with in the Czech Republic recently was recommending the Tatra mountains so its on my radar.

Lee / AustinW, if you can send me your routes, I'll try to cut them into a file, adding in information from another thread. With it I should be able to create an 'Ultimate guide to....' and share it here

Richard

Amazing how many of us want to go here. I am heading down with my 16 yr old after she finishes GCSEs next year - her choice. Met a guy who lives near Brno yesterday and talked about some roads with him. Our route will likely take in Krakow/Budapest/Vienna/Prague so looking forward to reading the ultimate guide. Thought about doing Croatia at the same time but will save the Balkans and Northern Greece for another tour.

Back
Top Bottom