Email address and change of Internet/phone supplier.

AdrianS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry to ask this question as its probably an easy one to sort out:

Been with BT for many many years but prices have gone up to now make them very expensive for what I need.

My GF has changed to Vodafone for home phone and internet and she is paying just over 50% of what I pay. The only difference is her Broadband speed is up to 30 Mb and mine is 50Mb.

I've had the same email address for many years ( a bt.com ) one and if I move to another provider will I have to give up this address?
If so, what is the easiest way to send all my contacts the change or do I have to do it individually. The last time this happened was when I had a "freeserve.co.uk" address which would not work when I discontinued using them.

Also, any other recommendations for a cheaper internet/phone provider?

Cheers

Adrian

I left BT quite some time ago. Eventually after email failure I had to call them and they noticed I wasn’t a customer ( well I was but didn’t pay). I now pay about £5 a month for email services) this way I kept my email address.

Good news - you can keep your BT (www.bt.com) email address when you cancel BT broadband. To do so, you'll need to sign up to BT Premium Mail. This has the same functionality as your old BT Mail account, though it will cost you a fee each month to keep it going. Sign up by logging on to BT Mail and selecting the option to move to BT Premium Mail, or by contacting customer service.

Any additional email addresses linked to your account will be transferred across to the new service too, so you won't lose a thing.

Or get a free gmail account and transfer contacts across iirc some providers give a period of up to 90 days use after cancellation (check though) before deleting the account

I left BT quite some time ago. Eventually after email failure I had to call them and they noticed I wasn’t a customer ( well I was but didn’t pay). I now pay about £5 a month for email services) this way I kept my email address.

I have a btinternet.com email address. They used to charge £1.60 a month. They tried to put it up to £5 a month. When I squealed, they dropped it back down to £1.60.
Might be worth getting onto them.

I have a btinternet.com email address. They used to charge £1.60 a month. They tried to put it up to £5 a month. When I squealed, they dropped it back down to £1.60.
Might be worth getting onto them.

Oh, thank you. It’s the sneaky bastard pricing tricks made me leave them in the first place. Thank you.

Go get a Gmail or outlook account that you can keep for the rest of your life at zero cost. When you get that just copy over your contacts and email them all telling them your new address. If you don't want them to all to see each others address make sure you add all the contacts as bcc.

The only time you should ever pay for email is if it is your own custom email address.

Gmail = spymail, Outlook (previously Hotmail) is heading that way too. Both are run by increasingly scheming companies. I can recommend Protonmail if you go to a web-based system - you can use it as you would any other web-based mail service, but without the ads or tracking or other bollox, or you can choose to use it's encryption too if that appeals to you. There's a free service and a paid service too, supported by iOS and Android apps.

Back
Top Bottom