New Bike Warrantys

malcopopolo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Did you know that Indian Motorcycles provide a 5 year warranty

Suzuki offer a 3 year warranty

BMW - two years warranty

Credit to Indian by standing by their products!

The last time I looked at this Indian gave a two year warranty and the remaining three years were an extended warranty policy that stipulated you had to have your bike serviced at an Indian dealership during that extended three year period

Interesting - how does that work?

Sorry, meant to say the Consumer Rights Act, which replaced the Sale Of Goods Act.
Here you go...
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

The goods must be of suitable quality and fit for purpose.
It is reasonable to expect a motor vehicle to last at least 5/6 years.
Unless you'd done mega mileage, abused it, or hadn't maintained it, you can make a claim against the dealer. Upto 6 years in England, 5 years in Scotland.

You know when they say the warranty 'doesn't affect your statutory rights'?
Well, the Consumer Rights Act, are your statutory rights.
A manufacturers warranty is Above and Beyond these rights, but doesn't replace them

I don't think that's correct.

From the link:

"This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product."
I agree. If it was a toaster, you would be struggling at 6 years. A motor vehicle however...........

Does it make a difference in law?

Yes, it does, but there are a lot of variables that need to be taken into account. The mechanism by which you get 6 years is that the Consumer Rights Act (and prior to that the Sale of Goods Act) imply terms into a contract for fitness of purpose, reasonable quality etc. Those terms are incorporated automatically into anything you buy in a consumer transaction. The law limits claims for breach of contract to 6 years but that does not mean you have the equivalent of a 6 year warranty - it just means a court might decide something should have lasted longer than it did.

suzuki warranty is 2yrs +1 extra yr if serviced by dealer. in reply to chazzyb i have swapped my 09 gs for a vstrom 650 due to old age needing a lighter bike. what do i miss from the gs?. well less power which i can live with, the brembo front brake which will means i have to use the good rear brake a bit more. otherwise apart from the crap tyres i am very pleased with it. jags.

Back
Top Bottom