Tail light wire.

stratblue

genoQian
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My very own recording studio! (South Wales).
Greetings to The Collective.

Haynes tells me that the tail and brake light wires have yellow bands but not which is which. I've opened up a bundle of wires running down the sub frame on the left hand side and I was hoping one of you electrical wizards could tell which one in the bundle is the right one.

Thanks.

Why don't you go to the tail light and see which one is which by taking them off one at a time, the brown is earth.

In the old days we would simply undo the connector and see which one was live/dead with the brakes on/off. Today @Andi's method is the best. If you are looking for ignition switched power, the aux socket under the seat is more useful. Wire that to a relay, etc, etc.

Just had a look at the diagram tail light should be red/yellow black/yellow brake light
you should be able to see the wires going into the tail light to confirm.

The diagram I am looking at is for an 2007 GS
the OP did not say which year.

dont do that unless to plan not to keep the bike,moisture will get in and spread along the wire

Really? What about the contacts at each end of the wire? It’s only the ECUs that are fully sealed. The others are only protected not sealed.

Compared to the risk of moisture ingress at the connection plugs/sockets the pin prick is nothing. It's only 12V.

If your that paranoid over an less than 1/2 mm square hole then just tape over or mastic the hole afterwards

If your that paranoid over an less than 1/2 mm square hole then just tape over or mastic the hole afterwards

With a sewing pin it wont even be that big and the plastic edges will close up. The biggest risk is ramming the pin though your finger.

Back
Top Bottom