Service costs

Thanks for the reassurance... I wasn't even told of a list but then again I do appreciate they're busy doing lots of them and no doubt in time mine will be done...

Just got an e-mail , Im next on the list for the fork recall. The bike is booked into oceans Thursday morning, looking at taking the 2017 out to see if i can see the difference in the clutch and gear box from the my 2014

Just got an e-mail , Im next on the list for the fork recall. The bike is booked into oceans Thursday morning, looking at taking the 2017 out to see if i can see the difference in the clutch and gear box from the my 2014

You will see the difference!

Service plans will soon be released as per BMW car division, ie £1000 for a fixed mileage for example , not a bad way to spread the cost however there will only be one winner......

Shinyface

When I bought my 5-Series BMW (new) in late 2013 I was offered a 5 year / 60,000 mile service plan for £410 inc. vat .... it doesn't take much working out to see that's a bargain! Only extra cost has been MOT's and tyres. Each service, the dealer has generated a bill which they then claim reimbursement from BMW and the costs have substantially exceeded the price of the plan, from BMW's point of view though the cost to them ensures I return to the dealership, drink their coffee, browse the new models, and likely eventually buy another. Or simply put it keeps me out of Audi et al. It's not hard to see the new bike sales going the same way.

Update, for those interested, Ocean did my service yesterday , also the fork re-call and it’s first MOT all for a reasonable £126, provided lots of coffee and bacon butties whilst I waited.

Update, for those interested, Ocean did my service yesterday , also the fork re-call and it’s first MOT all for a reasonable £126, provided lots of coffee and bacon butties whilst I waited.

Annual service at 3 years old, right Benji?

My first annual service comes up in March, so I'm guessing it should be similar since the brake fluid won't be due. Does that check out?

Yes, sea dog, my brake fluid was done at the 2 year point so didn't need replacing.

does the brake fluid really need changing every two years.
fleet managers do not pay for their vehicles. Every five years is probably about right. IMHO

from the interweb..
American companies agree with you:
www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf50412.htm
" .. Statements made by the "Big 3" domestic OEM manufacturers that the brake fluid in their vehicles lasts the life of the vehicle ..
...One of the task force members involved with the OEMs found out one of the OEMs did a study using test fleets comprised of thousands of vehicles from various locations that were approximately 8 years old. They tested the brake fluid for moisture and discovered an average of less than one percent over the entire fleet. .. ... "

www.brakestrips.net/tech_myth_stopper.htm
" ... Then there's the mistaken belief, now earning the distinction of ?urban legend,? that water is brake fluid's worst enemy and the slightest trace of it demands an immediate system flush or dire things might happen. So ingrained is this unwarranted fear, many costly flushes are needlessly performed and any unused fluid promptly discarded lest it absorb water while awaiting a future top-off.
Now, new technology and standards are finally putting the decades-old moisture myth to rest. Especially since today's Anti-Lock Brake Systems and brake fluids are designed to reduce or eliminate moisture related problems. In fact, GM, Ford and Chrysler have no recommendation for brake fluid service based on moisture because it's not considered a safety threat or service issue. ... "

does the brake fluid really need changing every two years.
fleet managers do not pay for their vehicles. Every five years is probably about right. IMHO

from the interweb..
" .. Statements made by the "Big 3" domestic OEM manufacturers that the brake fluid in their vehicles lasts the life of the vehicle ..
...One of the task force members involved with the OEMs found out one of the OEMs did a study using test fleets comprised of thousands of vehicles from various locations that were approximately 8 years old. They tested the brake fluid for moisture and discovered an average of less than one percent over the entire fleet. .. ... "

www.brakestrips.net/tech_myth_stopper.htm
" ... Then there's the mistaken belief, now earning the distinction of ?urban legend,? that water is brake fluid's worst enemy and the slightest trace of it demands an immediate system flush or dire things might happen. So ingrained is this unwarranted fear, many costly flushes are needlessly performed and any unused fluid promptly discarded lest it absorb water while awaiting a future top-off.
Now, new technology and standards are finally putting the decades-old moisture myth to rest. Especially since today's Anti-Lock Brake Systems and brake fluids are designed to reduce or eliminate moisture related problems. In fact, GM, Ford and Chrysler have no recommendation for brake fluid service based on moisture because it's not considered a safety threat or service issue. ... "

This is what I said in my post, I personally tested dozens of vehicles, some of them 10 or more years old. Never any moisture in the brake fluid.

from the interweb..

Be careful when comparing as the devil is in the detail... ...

Most of the american vehicles i've owned over the years, going back to the early eighties all used silicone based fluid which is non hygroscopic, unlike the vast majority of brake fluid used in the UK which is dot 3/4 which is.

Back
Top Bottom