Battery Drain

piercjs

Reaction score
Hi,
I've an R1150GS with a good (ish) battery.
When not in use, she's connected to a trickle charger.
At home she always starts quickly but, if i'm away overnight, she's not so quick to start first thing in the morning.

I think the issue is
  1. The AUX USB socket is wired direct to the battery
  2. the GPS is wired direct to the battery

With the bike off, power is still supplied to these. Connecting my phone to the AUX USB Socket starts the phone charging. Connecting the GPS, starts the GPS Charging.
so it looks like both sockets may be slowly draining the battery.

I've seen posts about the PDM60 and it looks like a great piece of kit. Right now though, I've other items to spend cash on so am looking for a quick/dirty solution.
I was thinking of connecting a 12v relay between the battery and the 2 devices.
Ideally, the Relay should only draw power if the rear brake light is on (for example) or, I could wire the relay to the on/off switch for the spots so that it only worked if the spots were switched on ?

That's about as far as my technical ability goes, I've no idea how to actually do this.
Do I need a 4-pin relay or a 5-pin relay
How do I wire it ?

As I said, the PDM60 looks like it would do all this for me but, I'm not sure I've actually traced the true issue so want to eliminate these first.
The Battery is a little over 1 year old so I don't want to go replacing that either, especially if I don't fix this issue so that the next battery eventually does the same thing.

Thanks

USB sockets put a drain on the battery because they're a transformer, so either as you say run it through a relay, a switched powers source or buy one that has an on/off switch.

As far as wiring a relay, just google for a diagram it's the same for any accessory such as spot lights.

USB sockets put a drain on the battery because they're a transformer, so either as you say run it through a relay, a switched powers source or buy one that has an on/off switch.

As far as wiring a relay, just google for a diagram it's the same for any accessory such as spot lights.

Thanks for that, surprising how many videos there are on youtube covering 12v relays.
after watching a ton of them, feel like i'm a proper electrical cowboy now :nenau

Suspect that your Satnav is also either 5v or 3.7v, so there is a reducer in there also - to cater for battery voltage input.

Back
Top Bottom