To peak or not to peak?

KevD

Reaction score
I've had bike's for years from sports bikes, single thumpers to my steed for the last ten years k1200r. I've now bought a new 1200gs exclusive and I sort of feel that my helmet should have a peak. Pros/cons or just a charlie Boardman midlife crisis?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've had bike's for years from sports bikes, single thumpers to my steed for the last ten years k1200r. I've now bought a new 1200gs exclusive and I sort of feel that my helmet should have a peak. Pros/cons or just a charlie Boardman midlife crisis?

Do you mean Stan Boardman, the scouse comedian, or Charley Boorman the motor bicyclist? You'll look funnier if you go for Charley, but you'll be funnier if you go for Stan (although not a lot funnier to be fair).

Do you mean Stan Boardman, the scouse comedian, or Charley Boorman the motor bicyclist? You'll look funnier if you go for Charley, but you'll be funnier if you go for Stan (although not a lot funnier to be fair).
I meant boorman, bit I think I'll look funny anyways

I wanted to Peak in 2010 but got talked into a Roof Boxer 8. Very good salesman.

Bought a Tour X about 4 years ago. After years of riding to work into the rising sun and riding home into the setting sun, giving me eye strain and neck ache trying to position my head so that I could see, having a peak removes all of that crap.

It's the best thing I could have bought. I shall only be buying Tour Xs now for as long as I can or need a helmet. Obviously other peaked helmets are available. Just having the sun out of your eyes is great. Especially in Spring and Autumn when the sun stays low.

In my view, well worth it. :thumby:

I wanted to Peak in 2010 but got talked into a Roof Boxer 8. Very good salesman.

Bought a Tour X about 4 years ago. After years of riding to work into the rising sun and riding home into the setting sun, giving me eye strain and neck ache trying to position my head so that I could see, having a peak removes all of that crap.

It's the best thing I could have bought. I shall only be buying Tour Xs now for as long as I can or need a helmet. Obviously other peaked helmets are available. Just having the sun out of your eyes is great. Especially in Spring and Autumn when the sun stays low.

In my view, well worth it. :thumby:
I think I'll be on the search for one, cheers.

why do you feel you need a peak ? is too match the twat suit you will be wearing ? i have a GS Rallye wear a neotech......

why do you feel you need a peak ? is too match the twat suit you will be wearing ? i have a GS Rallye wear a neotech......
Commuting in the winter is a pain at dusk and dawn, thought it might help with the low sun.

Black electrical tape on the top inch and a half of your visor ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most decent helmets have a drop down sun visor for that.

I don't have a peak on my helmet but have had one before on a jet style helmet. I have a Schuberth with drop down dark visor now, but nothing deals with low sun like a peak.

Black electrical tape on the top inch and a half of your visor ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dunno if all brands of tape would do it, or whether visors are all made from the same material or not ?
But be aware that the tape can leave a mark on the visor which is permanent .

Can't beat a peak for dealing with the low sun at this time of year. I also have a Schuberth helmet with internal sun visor and it is nowhere as good as the peak on my Tour X.

I had the same dilemma, but recently driving in southern Spain toward a setting sun you realise just how invaluable the drop down sun visor is - in the car. I mean I could see f* all when the glare hit the screen. Yes, had sun glasses on. As I was looking for a new lid I took the plunge and bought an E1. Like many I was curious about wind pull on the beak and I'm pleased to say nothing noticeable.

I'm peakless with a Shark Evo One, heading back over the Hartside after a run to Kielder a few weeks ago with a mate from this parish, boy I wish I had a peaked lid, the setting sun was a liability heading west, the excellent flip down sun visor did very little to reduce it's effects. So yes, they can be twatish, but they really do work in those rare moments of winter sunshine.

I may look for another peaked lid now.

Get a peak to match your beak:cool:

I bought a Shark EvoLine 3 (Hakka) back in the summer for touring. For me it ticks every box. Flip front (and can be worn open while riding), internal visor, comfortable and not too noisy for a flip-up...

Back
Top Bottom