Suspension - 1190 Vs 1290 / S Vs R / Active Vs Conventional suspension

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It seems a few people struggle with the S Vs R equation after test rides on the new 1290's.

The choice should be obvious in that anyone riding mainly on the road should want the S and anyone planning on significant off road should take the R - I think the of road thing is blindingly obvious to everyone, but on the road I am now wondering which is "best"

My 1190 has a really nice feel to the suspension, it feels well damped and controlled at all speeds on all surfaces, it could do with a bit more difference between the levels, but I find I can get away with comfort most of the time, and if pressing on really quick Street makes it plenty taught enough still absorbs bumps very well. The only criticism I can muster is the forks feel quite soggy and dive a lot, but I am OK with it considering the excellent comfort (Might be different if I did any two-up)

A spin on the 1290S left me disappointed, on a road I ride regularly I found myself being bounced out of the 1290S seat with the suspension set to comfort, it felt about the same (if not stiffer) than my 1190 is in Sport mode, in comfort on the 1190 I can go about 25% faster and stay seated.

At standstill the 1290S suspension feels like it is locked solid so my guess is you are relying on the electronics to allow it to move and they just cannot react quick enough to sudden bumps in the road (Despite the KTM / BMW marketing machines claims about how this latest must-have technology gives the perfect ride by adjusting every nanosecond)

I did like the Active Suspensions lack of dive, but apart from when on the brakes my 1190 suspension feels much nicer, plush and controlled Vs Harsh and crashy. On a smooth road / racetrack I reckon the 1290S would be awesome, but on a bumpy UK back lane it felt no better than a sportsbike.

I am really interested to hear from people who have switched from an 1190S to a 1290S, IIRC my 1190S did soften up quite a bit in the first few thousand miles, so maybe the 1290S will do the same?

If not I am likely to hang onto my 1190 for a fair bit longer, might even look at an aftermarket cruise control as that is the only feature on the 1290 I really want, but would rather have good ride quality and no cruise as opposed to a harsh uncomfortable ride and cruise.

Back
Top Bottom