Suspension upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry the cat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2014 800GSA is approaching the 36k service in the next couple of months and the suspension is getting a bit tired so I’m starting to look at potential replacement and/or upgrade. So far I’ve looked at:

Ohlins - dismissed because I’m told they’re a bit high maintenance for my needs.
Maxtons - Highly recommended by a couple of people I trust but higher priced than some other options. They want to ‘ideally’ put new cartridges in the front forks and I’m not sure it’s necessary.
Wilbers - Put these on my last 800 and liked them.
Hyperpro- Don’t know much about these other than Micky rates his mate near Rotterdam who fits them.
Hagon - possible budget option? I’ve met some bikers, generally from dahn sarf who rate them. They’re cheaper. Does that mean they’re inferior necessarily?

I’m thinking a new back shock and serviced front shocks with new springs. Any advice from those who understand the black art of suspension or any alternative options welcome.

I had a 800gsa for about 2 years. I never actually got round to doing anything with the suspension but was advised that the front was the weak link. Firefox have a upgrade for the forks that transforms the suspension. JJH

Even different oil in the front shocks can make a significant difference.

Sent from a U11

Hagon units are ok but built to a price a good rebuild service, they are the dogs for wheel building mind.
personal preference Wilbers.

I'd have thought a man on your pension would go and buy a new bike .... ??!!!

See what RACETECH in Rotherham, have to say....................come well recommended and I will be using them in Jan for a suspension upgrade

YSS shocks seem to be making a name for themselves, high spec. comparatively low price.

I had a 800gsa for about 2 years. I never actually got round to doing anything with the suspension but was advised that the front was the weak link. Firefox have a upgrade for the forks that transforms the suspension. JJH

Thanks JJH but at this mileage the back needs attention as well. Not sure I felt the front was a weak link on either 800. Not perfect but reasonable.

Is that why your rear end was bouncing around on the ride outs from Dent this year :D

Wilbers have got to be a great option as you've had them before and pretty much everyone who has them rates them highly.
I've had great service from Jon at revs racing who will supply (with spring matched to your weight)m fit and set up!

I fitted hyperpro progressive springs on the front and a hyperpro shock on the back. A big difference and reasonably priced compared to touratech or ohlins units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks JB. I’ll have a look at them. Why the recommendation? Your experience or that of friends?

A couple of lads up here, who race and gave them a second a lap advantage on the dirt

It's Shocktech (they are the Racetech importers:blast)

Is that why your rear end was bouncing around on the ride outs from Dent this year :D

Wilbers have got to be a great option as you've had them before and pretty much everyone who has them rates them highly.
I've had great service from Jon at revs racing who will supply (with spring matched to your weight)m fit and set up!

Plus one for Revs / wilbers . I paid £1050 earlier this year for progressive springs and remote pre load on the rear. One up the bike is transformed , no diving from the front tracks perfectly and doesnt wander like it did with the OE setup.
If I was doing it again I would do the forks first and see how the bike changed. Since I think its classic Pareto 80%of the improvement from 20% cost

I have a Nitron rear shock and 10 weight oil in the front forks with standard springs. The difference is not quite night and day, but it is a huge improvement. Plus it’s a budget option if you are on limited funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom