Stalling when revs dropped suddenly

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Noticed over the last couple of days the clutch bite point seems to be very close the bar,

as soon as i move the lever its wanting to be off ;)

Also a couple of times, ive gone to slow down and as i pull the clutch in, its stalled.

Also noticed a hot type smell occalsionally not burning though

Tickover is normally aroung 1k+-50 (methinks a bit low )

is this the start of the clutch needing replacement?

26k on the clock

Have you tried using the clutch lever barrel adjuster to give you more lever action?

Check the clutch fluid level. It rises as the clutch wears so might be over-full. Too much fluid will eventually cause the clutch to release early and eventually it will slip. It uses a special oil - Citroen LHM is the same stuff.

Weak ignition coils will cause it to stall as will a sticking idle stepper motor. Throttle balance often helps. TPS is easy to reset but probably won't make any difference

Its a hydraulic clutch

You can still get more lever movement though. In any case lets be fair 26k miles for a clutch is F'n bonkers... especially when you consider what you have to do replace and the cost of the replacement parts any sensible clutch design would have the plates replaced in a couple of hours max and no where near the cost of a BMW setup. These bike are a complete head F they are nice to ride etc but the rest of the ownership is a complete nonsense.

My Diversion 900 (that made 90 bhp officially) had a new clutch at 70K. The friction plates were at service minimum and right on cue, it was slipping. Total cost complete with new plates, new springs (that I probably didn't need) and delivery from Wemoto was under £60. This is a bike not noted for low costs spares. Fitting took an hour and I didnt even need to drain the oil.

BMW feck about with a back to front clutch (because their bike designers can't understand how cars use toroid slave cylinders) and charge best part of £100 for what amounts to a VW Beetle clutch that you can get for 1/3 of the price. God help us on the cost of a pressure plate.

But that all said unusual stalling is more likely to be ignition or fuel. Check out the coils first - easy to do and they do fail. A coil often won't fail completely but carries on being a pain in a A until one day it stops working. A few miles later its partner will do the same.

Quick update -- did it twice today,

narrowed down events leading upto the stall

It seems to occur if i'm running on low revs ( just over idle say 2k) at slow speeds (walking pace)

as soon as i release the throttle, the revs drop and then it stalls,

Almost as if the compression is too great for the pistons to overcome

or the fuelling has dropped off?

Will do it hot or cold as well

Ive noticed that at idle sometimes the revs are high, and slow to drop or low and

needs a blip to bring them up.

On cold starts the revs bounce too, 1800 - 2K dropping to 1200-1500

From what ive had before, its usually high rpm until a set temp/ time is reached then the revs drop ??

Hmmm

Clutch

It might be a red herring but your symptoms relating to the clutch (not the stalling) sound like the slave cylinder starting to fail. I say this as I had mine go on my (new to me) 1200 RTP whilst sitting in traffic in Westminster a few weeks back. With the clutch pulled in and the bike in gear it was stalling ... different to you but clutch sounds similar.

Steptoe sorted it pretty quickly and the post mortem of the slave cylinder was spot on . I'll never be sitting in traffic with the clutch pulled in and the bike in gear unless absolutely necessary again.

Just a thought.

Dont think it's clutch,

This morning it wouldnt start, not as in non starting, it strted, ran for about 3 seconds very lumpily, then stalled

Restarting, you could hear it was struggling to catch on a closed throttle, so i gave it some throttle and it caught and ran.

Keeping the throttle blipped, at junctions, i manged to get to work.

when i let the throttle close at work, it was idling at about 1800rpm .. snapping the throttle it dropped to about 1100, and went into its lumpy low speed tickover.

I think carb balance, and TPS need looking at --- will stick the GS on it and see what it shows,

and do a carb balance over xmas

hmmm

I know you don't need reminding, but you should have bought my bike when you had the chance. :hide

In any case lets be fair 26k miles for a clutch is F'n bonkers... especially when you consider what you have to do replace and the cost of the replacement parts any sensible clutch design would have the plates replaced in a couple of hours max and no where near the cost of a BMW setup. These bike are a complete head F they are nice to ride etc but the rest of the ownership is a complete nonsense.

try doing a clutch on a Guzzi , BMW is a piece of piss in comparison .

Sorry mate, I've bitten my lip for so long now. I genuinely feel sorry for you and the quantity of issues you've had.

I hope you get it all sorted soon. :thumby:

It's ok, it wouldnt be fun if there was no piss taking.... and yes i do wonder why i didnt take some of the offers from here :)

When its going right, its a brilliant bike, puts a grin on my face, its the little niggles that keep coming up that really piss you off

Starting only with a fair bit of throttle and it coughing out at about 1500rpm sounds like an idle stepper motor issue.
BTW Yamaha Diversion 900 engine makes similar power. The clutch costs £50 and 1 hour max to fit. Mine lasted 70,000.
They can do that on a budget bike yet BuMW fart about with that daft back to front affair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bastid!!!

Ran it on Tuesday with the 911 data logging attached, annd it was fine --- typical

ran it this morning - no data logger and it dropped off again FFS --

May have to park this for now, as after today, the bike aint going to see a lot uf use till Jan !

It might be a coil. They do not register on the 911 with a fault, symptoms of a faulty will show of course.

The older black painted primary coils are less reliable than the later stainless clad type. If they/it smell of hot insulation that might be the problem.

You could have two problems, one is the clutch not disengaging fully be it wear on the plates or the need for adjudtment at the clutch end and the other sounds like its misfiring at low revs.

Back
Top Bottom