Ring ring, ring ring. Hello, my rear brake is making a screeching noise.

I've seen a case where the pad wasn't fitted properly and it dropped out, could this be what has happened here?

Even if the pads weren't fitted correctly and dropped out the dozy bugger has obviously ridden a considerable distance merrily grinding away the caliperbody on the disc

Even if the pads weren't fitted correctly and dropped out the dozy bugger has obviously ridden a considerable distance merrily grinding away the caliperbody on the disc

Yes, I agree, but it would have been a much more considerable distance if he'd also been grinding through the pad backing plate to get to the caliper ;)

You'd think the brake disc would be badly worn, too, eh?

That's why I wondered whether the brake pad had dropped out, if the disc had ground all the way through the pad backing plate I doubt there'd be much of the disc left.

Had a twat driving a Discovery 3 around locally with pads down to metal.
20" front alloys spoiled as they had rusty burns marks and ingrained brake dust, owner didnt seem to bothered about it.

Adrian

Bike owners like that makes for repetitive business. Not bad for the pocket.

yes they are out there! One I had for a visit a couple if years ago!

BVL1150RT2.jpg

BVL1150RT3.jpg

BVL1150RT7.jpg

That lot look like they've been dug up out of the ground

Probably had servo brakes and thought everything was just fine

Yea. It wasn't a flippant comment.

Once I switched to the BMW oem organic pads (totally rubbish btw!). If I hadn't keep an eye on the bike as did/do I could see how easy it would be to reach the backing plates because of the linked-servo set up.

I switched to Brembo sintered pads (red) from the start of my ownership of the 1150 - last ages but one of your customers might think they last forever. Lol

Yea. It wasn't a flippant comment.

Once I switched to the BMW oem organic pads (totally rubbish btw!). If I hadn't keep an eye on the bike as did/do I could see how easy it would be to reach the backing plates because of the linked-servo set up.

I switched to Brembo sintered pads (red) from the start of my ownership of the 1150 - last ages but one of your customers might think they last forever. Lol

BMW won’t tell you but the OEM organic date not suitable for linked brakes. My 1200 went down to the metal in under 4000 miles. Thankfully no harm done because I spotted it & turned off the ABS but with 300 miles to get home (on a Sunday) very not impressed.

Back
Top Bottom