Accessory Socket

Dave J

Reaction score
Anyone any tips on fitting an accessory socket on a 2017 GS. Location / wiring etc.

I fitted a socket, to power my heated jacket, in the plastic panel just below the seat on the left side. I bought a kit from an ebay seller - just a DIN socket, with sprung cover and fitted with a fused lead, and connected it directly to the battery. If I know I'm not going to use the socket for a while (spring/summer/autumn...) I pull the fuse. Simples!

I fitted a socket, to power my heated jacket, in the plastic panel just below the seat on the left side. I bought a kit from an ebay seller - just a DIN socket, with sprung cover and fitted with a fused lead, and connected it directly to the battery. If I know I'm not going to use the socket for a while (spring/summer/autumn...) I pull the fuse. Simples!

I have done the same to mine and use it all winter just for the heated kit

I did the same as Tomcat, not for a heated jacket though, you don’t need such thinks down here, just saying like....:green gri

But for when I have puncture, I can plug the little electric pump into the socket to re-inflate the tyre.

thats very neat,what is the infill panel you used and did you make the fitting for the 12v socket yourself? I'm riding all year round and could use some 'leccy heat!

That looks really professional actually better than the OEM. very impressive

I wired in one on the infill panel as per Tomcat & Rederic... see picture. sorry, can't get it to post right way round but you get the point..:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 495
No need to pay to much, get one of these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durite-P...900434&hash=item35bc982cdb:g:UTQAAOSwhqhaHtF6
Wire direct to the battery with an inline fuse.
Make a neat hole using something like this (go easy when drilling and make sure the hole allows the depth of the socket to fit.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-mm-HS...806584?hash=item360bb775b8:g:vCIAAOSwgZ1Xv2MT
Allowing for a fused lead etc it should come in at well under £25 including the hole maker.
The infill panel is already on the bike of course :thumb2

20151020_181958.jpg

The BM socket is tidy and is connected through the canbus but as mentioned it’s a pain to fit (much easier if it was done on the production line).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 359065

The BM socket is tidy and is connected through the canbus but as mentioned it’s a pain to fit (much easier if it was done on the production line).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advantage of fitting an aftermarket direct to battery is that then you can use any type of battery charger and not just a canbus specific.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Advantage of fitting an aftermarket direct to battery is that then you can use any type of battery charger and not just a canbus specific.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would agree in theory, and I have fitted an Optimate type tail to my battery which is tucked away behind the frame over the starter motor. It is more convenient to have on that side of the bike because the tyre valves are also on that side and I use it primarily to power my mini air compressor, which has an Optimate type connector.

I could also connect my Optimate to it, but haven't done so yet, mainly because I haven't needed to, but partly because the handbook warns against connecting a battery charger direct to the battery, saying that it could damage the bike's electronics. I think you are supposed to disconnect the battery from the bike if you charge it directly, but that is hardly practical. I suppose damage could be a possibility with a dumb charger which might apply excessive voltage, but I am doubtful that using an Optimate would cause a problem. Unfortunately my Optimate is not the CANBUS compatible model which can be used through the 12V cockpit socket, so I need to make a decision on this before using it. Anybody else used an Optimate directly on the battery?

I use a Ctek which I connect directly using a comfort indicator connector to monitor the state of charge. Works perfectly.

Thanks for the reassurance. I can't imagine why there would be a problem. I can understand the CANBUS acting as a gateway, either allowing or disallowing connectivity to the 12V wiring, but I find it hard to believe that it would actively monitor what the charger is outputting and would disconnect it at any point if it didn't like it. In any case if it allows a CANBUS compatible Optimate to connect and do its thing without interference, then what the bike's electronics get exposed to will surely be no different to what they get exposed to when an Optimate connects directly to the battery?

I use an Optimate via a fly lead - never had any issues.

I use the Oxford battery monitor and charger which I plug straight to a tail a fixed to the battery with inline fuse. Never had any issues..:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom