Result - new crash bars ordered!

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I asked Mickey for some advice on crash bars, as I don't have any and with winter coming in I can see the slithery days ahead and the snow and ice is going to risk a drop and crash bars should save some wallet ache. Original BMW crash protection, designed for the bike, and having to be ordered direct from Germany I thought were going to be like the aftermarket ones and be somewhere around the £150 - £200 mark. SURPRISE... £85. So they are on their way.

The OEM adventure crash bars are really crap. Don’t actually protect the rocker covers and risk more harm than good. The aftermarket wrap around types are a lot better.
What ever you get needs to be cheaper than replacing rocker covers.

The OEM adventure crash bars are really crap. Don’t actually protect the rocker covers and risk more harm than good. The aftermarket wrap around types are a lot better.
What ever you get needs to be cheaper than replacing rocker covers.

How can any bars protect the rocker covers. They are on top of the engine, under the tank :D

Put the Bash plate from Stefan Scheffelmeier on and you won't have any cover damage. I've crashed mine more times than I care to remember (mostly offroad) and this is all that is needed. SO called crash bars just don't look right on these bikes.

Have a set ready to go on mine...
Once it warns enough for me to use some tools..
( busted hands don't likes cold spanners ) :(

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1512043948559.jpg
    FB_IMG_1512043948559.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 213
They look like mine.....:D

I hope fitting isn't too complicated. Micky thinks with the centre stand I might have to do a bit of jiggery pokery with a file.

My mistake for assuming the bike is a boxer twin.
Oops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tapatalk still shoves this threat at me. There is no context you could be discussing cup cakes how would anyone know.
It’s handy on the smartphone but very I’ll thought through.
Rant over.
Carry on.
Edit found the fuzzy grey on grey directory list at the top. It’s still crap.

Put the Bash plate from Stefan Scheffelmeier on and you won't have any cover damage. I've crashed mine more times than I care to remember (mostly offroad) and this is all that is needed. SO called crash bars just don't look right on these bikes.

I have my eyes on one of those, when I have saved up a bit I'll get one - maybe lucky and find a good used one. But to be honest, where I am likely to go the plastic one is more than enough! Mud on tarmac roads has my sphincter twitching.

I founf the crash bars on the 1150 to be bloody excellent. Certainly when I was hit on the motorway they saved the bike and probably my legs as well.

I have my eyes on one of those, when I have saved up a bit I'll get one - maybe lucky and find a good used one. But to be honest, where I am likely to go the plastic one is more than enough! Mud on tarmac roads has my sphincter twitching.

I founf the crash bars on the 1150 to be bloody excellent. Certainly when I was hit on the motorway they saved the bike and probably my legs as well.

I understand on the finance side but.... cheap crash bars may be made of thin wall steel tube that will only give you the feeling of being protected whereas they will fold on first contact with the ground. Just be careful. You pay for what you get.

I understand on the finance side but.... cheap crash bars may be made of thin wall steel tube that will only give you the feeling of being protected whereas they will fold on first contact with the ground. Just be careful. You pay for what you get.

BMW originals - not cheap, just not full price!

Back
Top Bottom