New tyres for 2005 gs

Jessydog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I will be looking for some new tyres for my R1200gs 2005 as I'm going on a road trip to Europe next year. I'm after something really sticky as I will be doing a lot of twisties and no off road.

Any one have any tyres in mind for me??

Thanks in advance!!

Regards Rob

Don’t bother with the stickiest tyres, absolute waste on your bike (same as mine). You’ll not outride rubber such as Tourance/A40s, never mind Road Smarts etc. on the gs without serious suspension work.

If the tyres you have on now are OK stick with them the only advantage you get with sticky tyres is the opportunity to replace them sooner complete waste of money on a GS.

Pirelli Scorpion Trail II
Avon Trailrider
Metz Tourance Next

Take your pick......all 3 are brilliant performance tyres.

PR4's seem a popular choice. People use them on my US trips so have a good life and after 5000 miles they are still good.

If I were after pure road tyres they would be my choice.

Solid and good enough for any situation.

SgtB and younger have given the 4 top tyres for the plethora of tyre threads I’ve read on here.
Torrance EVOs are stickier than standard Tourances but square off almost immediately and last about 2-3000 miles so not worth it in my books as they’re just too soft. I’m swapping to Avon Trailriders tomorrow as they have great reviews.

SgtB and younger have given the 4 top tyres for the plethora of tyre threads I’ve read on here.
Torrance EVOs are stickier than standard Tourances but square off almost immediately and last about 2-3000 miles so not worth it in my books as they’re just too soft. I’m swapping to Avon Trailriders tomorrow as they have great reviews.
The Trailrider has been by far my favourite tyre in the 60k kilometres I have put up on my Hexheads.

I'm am running PR4 at the moment, they where on the bike when I got it........they are a fantastic tyre on smooth roads, in good condition, wet or dry.......but if the surface gets choppy or dirty, they struggle.

Sent from a U11

Avon Trailriders all day long. By far the best dual sport tyre I have ever used (and i have had most of them) Easliy as good as a good road only tyre.

No need to buy super sticky road rubber unless you like pissing money away needlessly. Or you are going racing.

Dunlop TR91 for superior feel and grip but,

I use Tourance mk1 they are £50 a set cheaper and are the best allrounder, 3 sets a year I do on them :thumby:

Another vote for the Avons trailriders

Brilliant in the dry, need to learn to push them more in the wet :)

As you are in Gloucester, get down the Bristol Road and haggle with Protyre and Chris Mullins. Chris is usually selling Avon tyres at a decent price.

If you want a tyre that looks a it off roady then buy the Avon Trailriders. If you want road tyres then go with a sport touring tyre. I used Conti Road Attacks on an 1150GS but my current favourite tyres are Avon Storms - Ultra 2 were great on my Tracer, currently have Storm 3D on my R1200RS. There's an even newer ST now.

I had some Conti Trail Attack 2 on my 1150. Liked them a lot and would definitely buy again.
I switched from PR4s. Both good tyres, I'd say the Conti's were a little more 'sticky' by comparison.

I had some Conti Trail Attack 2 on my 1150. Liked them a lot and would definitely buy again.
I switched from PR4s. Both good tyres, I'd say the Conti's were a little more 'sticky' by comparison.

Yes, an excellent tyre. Tourances also excellent, as are Battlewings and likley all the tyres mentioned in this thread. I will vouch for these 3. Ex traffic cop, my business is rider training and all the above happy right round to the rims. Enjoy.

Yes, an excellent tyre. Tourances also excellent, as are Battlewings and likley all the tyres mentioned in this thread. I will vouch for these 3. Ex traffic cop, my business is rider training and all the above happy right round to the rims. Enjoy.

i have a new vstrom 650 with battlewings, they don't inspire confidence.

i have a new vstrom 650 with battlewings, they don't inspire confidence.
Interesting. I've been through 4 pairs on a 1200 gs in all weathers and found them secure with plenty of feel. Be a useful exercise to get a second opinion from someone on your bike.
I've often seen them referred to as 'deathwings' but over 40,000 miles not a single complaint from me.

Coming in January are ..... a new Michelin Road 5, after 4k they still as good as a new P4 . Worth looking it !

Probably be a while before the "Trail" and "GT" (or similar) versions come out for the heavier bikes.

Just don't think they look right on a GS. I'm running PR4 Trails at the moment and can't wait to get them off the bike.

Did you get the Avons ???

Conti Trail Attack 2 is the same as the Road Attack 2 except for wider grooves. The tread life is now very good and they don't really fall off in handling as they wear down.

Have gotten significantly better milage from Dunlop Roadsmart 3´s than PR4´s with better turn in handling. Can´t say I´ve noticed any difference in grip between them wet or dry.

Back
Top Bottom