Yamaha XT 500

g.s.john

Getting old aint fer pussies
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just acquired a 1981 XT 500 with 6 volt electrics magneto ignition and a right bastard to start I thought all that disappeared in the seventies :rob
I have been looking on rexs-speedshop.com and a 12 volt conversion is mostly plug in to replace the old units also electronic ignition also fairly straight forward.
Any advice on how to make life a bit easier with this old beast.
ta

I had a nightmare starting mine years ago, after months of diagnosis, turned out it was a break in one of the three coils on the stator plate. Started first time every time after that was fixed.

I have a 1980 model, it was very susceptible to condensers but once it had a new one fitted and the points set correctly it was ok to start. I have now converted it to 6volt electronic ignition and it is now a lot more consistent to start.

I had a nightmare starting mine years ago, after months of diagnosis, turned out it was a break in one of the three coils on the stator plate. Started first time every time after that was fixed.

So remember that! It was in the days of more time than money, I cut out the offending coil and I rewound it :eek:

No internet, online spares :rob even made a bobbin to facilitate the rewind!

From what I remember, they've always been a bastard to start.

I used to live with a girl who had an XT550. I used to spend half an hour kicking it over before we needed to set off.

Unless you are a purist and want to keep the bike totally original the move to 12 v makes a lot of sense.

Better starting, lighting , smaller gel batteries etc. Remember if you do switch its the little tings like speedo bulbs and horn you forget to change.

Unless you are a purist and want to keep the bike totally original the move to 12 v makes a lot of sense.

Better starting, lighting , smaller gel batteries etc. Remember if you do switch its the little tings like speedo bulbs and horn you forget to change.

Have look at www.rexs-speedshop.com they do the complete kit with bulbs and battery might go down there to have a look.

I used to live with a girl who had an XT550. I used to spend half an hour kicking it over before we needed to set off.

Not right or typical of the 550.
It must have been out of tune or the decompressor cable was incorrectly adjusted.
My XT550 is a 2nd or 3rd kick starter every time.

Not right or typical of the 550.
It must have been out of tune or the decompressor cable was incorrectly adjusted.
My XT550 is a 2nd or 3rd kick starter every time.

You are probably right. It was a bit of a shonker.

Went to rexs speed shop at Robertsbridge to get the carb serviced and cleaned and get a few bits I am going to get the 12V/electronic ignition next month, why is there always more month than money?:blast

When I first had mine (1978 model) it was difficult to start. I fiddled about with the carb and air filter which had been bodged, may have fitted a new plug but with regular use I found it became easy to start. I think there is a knack but obviously everything need to be in good tune. I never had any issues with the magneto, never had a battery fitted.

Went to rexs speed shop at Robertsbridge to get the carb serviced and cleaned and get a few bits I am going to get the 12V/electronic ignition next month, why is there always more month than money?:blast
How does it perform with a 12v system?

Don't know yet it's all set up and new tyres ect but I have a leg infection and can't kick the bloody thing over.

Ok leg infection is sorted, bike started second kick runs nice but the revs rise on a closed throttle the throttle quadrant is not sticking I suspect the diaphragm might be the cause?
any ideas?

Maybe a slight leak on the carb intake rubber.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom