Does your bike Wheely on acceleration?

my Pani 1299 will wheelie on the throttle well into 3 figures..the carbon wheels help, time machine :D
I was overtaken by one of these, doing a wheelie! couple of km after the Basel border into Germany this summer. I was alreay settled into about 135-145kmh.

I'm not really a speed merchant but when the front returned, he opened it up and vanished. For a fleeting moment I thought "yea! Dump this luggage and give me one of those!"

I fucked my gsa final drive clutching it up for wheelies at about 40,000 miles, I don't do them so often now, but then I do own 2 TL 1000's

I fucked my gsa final drive clutching it up for wheelies at about 40,000 miles, I don't do them so often now, but then I do own 2 TL 1000's

Was that driveshaft or gearbox?
The shaft has a bonded rubber bush to absorb shock. It can shear like a sort of mechanical fuse though I doubt it was designed for the purpose.
The final drive gearbox internal bearings are often close to end of life at 40,000. Repair (by the very reasonable cost) Mikeyboy is about double what you’d expect to spend on a chain transmission.

It was internals of the final drive that were severely damaged, teeth broken on the gears and loads of little bits floating around inside, it was making a terrible noise, I actually felt it go as I clutcheded it up, and could feel the damage as I limped home,

It was internals of the final drive that were severely damaged, teeth broken on the gears and loads of little bits floating around inside, it was making a terrible noise, I actually felt it go as I clutcheded it up, and could feel the damage as I limped home,

Ouch!!

Patzx12 posted a strip down of his 05 final drive with pictures. It's one heck of a job with all sorts of fixtures needed and special tools. Anyhow - the nose bearing (needle roller) on the drive pinion was worn very rough indeed. Next stage was disintegration. His had done under 20K miles. Mine was rebuilt by Mikeyboy at 50K miles. He said all bearings were "ready".

Ouch!!

Patzx12 posted a strip down of his 05 final drive with pictures. It's one heck of a job with all sorts of fixtures needed and special tools. Anyhow - the nose bearing (needle roller) on the drive pinion was worn very rough indeed. Next stage was disintegration. His had done under 20K miles. Mine was rebuilt by Mikeyboy at 50K miles. He said all bearings were "ready".

It was done under the extended warranty, since then it has been rebuilt by Mikeyboy as well about 30,000 miles later,

By the sounds of things mine was "ready" to go titsup so 50K is probably the limit for these units before rebuilding**. TBH, they make chains look dirt cheap.

When you fit the paralever bearing, use loads of grease. The rocking motion scrapes grease away from the rollers so packing it full gives a better chance. Too much grease is a (very) bad idea for wheel bearings, but these rock rather than roll. ;)

**Nobody knows how much the internal bearing life was shortened by BMW dropping the oil levels to 180ml. I suspect they will last a lot better when built properly by Mike and filled to the original 220ml from dry.

Back
Top Bottom