Does your bike want to via right?.. go better into left handers? not feel the same RH

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My bike always felt like it wanted to go right a bit even on flat roads with no camber... both under power and off power? Going downhill out of gear it was not too bad, but still did favour right?... I'd checked the wheels to each other and found them to be 1mm or so out of line (no great shakes)..
It also turned left very well, but just felt a bit different turning into right-handers..... no clunking or knocks.. and everything felt tight and firm...

So, I thought I’d check and lubricate my Paralever bearings, only to find both front bearings totally lube free and worn (especially the LHS one) and also the double ball race on the bevel box was not in best condition... so I replaced everything and re-set with 7 nm pre-load on the fronts....

Just been on my first 50 mile run... blimey, what a difference... It’s like a different bike!... straight as a die, and goes in to both LH and RH bends so much better now....

Well worth a check if you are seeing similar issues... I’d taken my wheel out and shock off and the bearings feel great... was only when I pulled it down I found they were totally shot!... so even if they feel okay, it’s still worth a look...

Hope this helps anybody with these issues... :)

The paralever bearings were stuffed on mine when I had the FD rebuilt but noticed no changes in handling when it was all rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, I thought I’d check and lubricate my Paralever bearings, only to find both front bearings totally lube free and worn (especially the LHS one)

Do you mean swingarm bearings ?

spell check on my phone!.... veer indeed.. and yes, swing arm bearings and bevel box ball bearing.. only one okay was the needle bearing... but it's made a huge difference!

Mine had all four replaced no change I could detect in handling but I imagine if they were bad enough they'd affect handling. Push/pull the wheels at 9 o'clock / 3 o'clock. Any lateral play that's different to play at 6 - 12 has to be suspension somewhere.

Had this with the bevel box pivot bearings on my last lc, shot at 13,000 miles due to total lack of lubrication ............ official BMW line is that they are not heavily greased as customers do not like to see dirt attracted to excess lubricant on new bikes !!!!!!!!!!!

Mine was as dry as sticks. It should have fallen apart but somehow survived complete with flatted rollers. It was packed with moly grease that gave a little smear as it settled down but there has been no more after the initial cleanup. Anyone with a new bike would be advised to grease all suspension bearings as soon as possible. They "could" be replaced on warranty but what if they last just long enough to miss that "help". Plus you have the hassle of getting the bike sorted out.

By the way, Yamaha's Super Tenere 1200 has a solid swing arm. Nobody comments about the suspension jacking under power. Ditto other shaft drive Yamahas. How come, BMW feel the need to over-engineer the problem?

Back
Top Bottom