Rear Shock swivels

Foodey

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the world of GS's and just cleaned my 3k miles bike and noticed two loose items;

- the rear shock (the whole unit) moves (swivels) horizontally about 20mm. Is this right?
- the gear shift lever has more play in it that I would expect, from its mounting point. Is this right?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Rear shock swivel is surprisingly normal.

There's a spring washer thing behind the lever to keep it tight but there is some movement in it.

Rear shock - normal.
Gear lever play - is that up/down movement play? Then normal. If play in the shaft, then not normal and good to get it checked.

K

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank-you very much, that's good to hear. I've got a few bikes, but non have any rear shock movement, so it was a surprise when it moved quite freely!

I will see if I can tighten the gear shift nut, but again, theirs more play in that than I'm used to.

Thank-you very much, that's good to hear. I've got a few bikes, but non have any rear shock movement, so it was a surprise when it moved quite freely!

I will see if I can tighten the gear shift nut, but again, theirs more play in that than I'm used to.

Like you I was surprised at the amount of movement in the rear shock compared to other bikes. It’s just the swivel in the mounting bushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The free play in the shock can often be felt as a knocking from the rear when on uneven roads. I tried putting a couple of rubber O rings on either side of the mount to act as bump stops but they don't seem to have stopped the knocking.

Great info thanks, cleaned mine today and ACF50'd it and noticed that :eek: all normal then :clap

Back
Top Bottom