brake light and indicator wiring to install brake light flasher

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have inherited a brake light flasher and an indicator beeper from another bike and I would like to use them on the r1150gs. where would be the best place to access the wiring/plugs leading to the rear of the bike. I would need to plug in line or tap the cables so somewhere where there is a bit of easy access would be best...

many thanks

R.

If you're looking to tap the cables at the rear of the bike, not just leading to the rear, a branch of the wiring harness is accessible underneath the pillion seat and luggage platform. Look up above the wheel and behind the brake light housing. You should see a grommet with a bundle of wires going from that grommet to the rear brake and turn signals. If your desire is to get at something that just leads to the rear of the bike, your best bet may be near the fuse box? :nenau I guess it depends on what you hope to accomplish. In any case, a good wiring diagramme should help you regardless of where you decide to tap in.

I would definitely prefer to work close to the fuse box area purely because any connections made there are better protected against water and humidity...any hints on how to remove the fusebox??

R.

I would definitely prefer to work close to the fuse box area purely because any connections made there are better protected against water and humidity...any hints on how to remove the fusebox??

R.

Four screws hold the top section in place - two each side. Unscrew and lever top section up through the frame tubes....... If you have the kismet signal minder (varies length of time the indicators flash/self cancelling function) plugs straight into the indicator relay plug with no need for wiring in.

R.

---Neil beat me to it and with a much more practical approach. :thumb2 Now if only I could get my bike back-and-forth across the Atlantic for service...---

Oooh...I'll let others chime in here. I don't have my manuals handy but if I recall correctly, the "proper" way to remove the fusebox is to raise the entire rear subframe. That being said, I bet someone has a shortcut or two they can suggest.

Another alternative is to remove the rear seat and luggage rack. The wire harness I mentioned before, the one with the grommet. That grommet feeds the wires up "above" the mudguard/liner (not sure what to call that part) so the wiring is rather well-protected by the mudguard from below and from the seat and luggage rack from above. The area stays dry. It might be a bit of a tight fit. If I get time later, I'll post a photo of that area. Others will chime in in the meantime, I'm sure.

Do you have photos of what you're trying to install? I'm curious about the setup.

Bohdan

Hi I dont have photos, but its a custom gizmo my firiend makes with some sort of computer processor chip....he basically programs this thing (cant remember the name) and i get a box with 5 wires - live, indicator left, indicator right, brake and ground...this thing will beep each time the indicator pulses and the pulses get louder....when I press the brake (as in traffic waiting at an intersection), the sound quietens down again....really cool. I have it on my other bikes and of course i now need it on this one, otherwise I would have indicators buzzing all the time

To be fair ...

... I formed the opinion that indicators in Malta were a bit of a fashion thing rather than a useful item ;)

Hi I dont have photos, but its a custom gizmo my firiend makes with some sort of computer processor chip....he basically programs this thing (cant remember the name) and i get a box with 5 wires - live, indicator left, indicator right, brake and ground...this thing will beep each time the indicator pulses and the pulses get louder....when I press the brake (as in traffic waiting at an intersection), the sound quietens down again....really cool. I have it on my other bikes and of course i now need it on this one, otherwise I would have indicators buzzing all the time

BMW made such a thing in the early eighties, except you pulled the clutch in to cancel the beeping so as not to pissed off with the bleeping when indicating while stopped at traffic lights, BMW stopped fitting them after a couple of years as most riders removed them as they felt and looked like tits beeping at every turn ..... I still have a brand new one in its box.

Neil - if you want to sell it, I'll buy it.
Driving among Spanish car-owners ( I won't flatter them with the term 'driver' ) here, believe me, it's essential to use as many warning devices, extra lighting, bright clothing, as possible. Otherwise they're likely to wipe you out without the slightest compunction.
"No te ví " is the Spanish equivalent of "I never saw you.." The term you often hear as you lie flat on your back, gasping, on the tarmac, with your bike spinning round on its side some distance away..

Neil - if you want to sell it, I'll buy it.
Driving among Spanish car-owners ( I won't flatter them with the term 'driver' ) here, believe me, it's essential to use as many warning devices, extra lighting, bright clothing, as possible. Otherwise they're likely to wipe you out without the slightest compunction.
"No te ví " is the Spanish equivalent of "I never saw you.." The term you often hear as you lie flat on your back, gasping, on the tarmac, with your bike spinning round on its side some distance away..

this is exactly the same reason why I want the brake light modulator and the beepers on my bike too....the "drivers" here are more akin to a herd of blind menopausal cows...

Back
Top Bottom