No internet speed -again. Alternatives anyone?

phooey

Reaction score
Moving not an option.
Rural but usually get .8 of an MBPS. Lately despite complaints to provider it takes minutes just to load a web page.
The mobile phone at least works when not using the house WiFi.
Can we use the mobile data connection through the tablet so we can watch and type on a decent size screen and just
ditch the WiFi?
Would this cost the earth?

With some providers (and your contract/terms) you can set up a hotspot from your phone. Works well but a bit slower than the phone and will generally use up your data allocation.

If you are on VODAFONE, they have a Christmas ad just now - featuring streaming without using up your data?

Not sure if a 4g MiFi unit is available for your provider? I have a 15gb monthly contract for around £15 a month?

google 'mifi hotspot' and see what is the best reception for your area ?

Al

I used my iphone hotspot for all our internet for the several weeks it took to get broadband installed here (E. Kent).

I still do during the frequent service outages that characterise our broadband connection. Soon uses up your data allowance though.

I guess if you can get the right contract with plenty of cheap data it could be doable.

I'm on 3. Unlimited data, calls,txt's and 30GB of tethering. All for £19/month.

As long as you have a minimum of 3g in your house, it should all work fine. I have 4g, and some times conecting my laptop to my phone makes the connection quicker than Virgin Fibre.

Find out who has a decent 4G signal in the area and explore the options. Remember, some brands share networks or have a virtual network running off one of the big 4.

Three has some decent data tariffs. A number of friends who work away a lot use a 3 mifi device for wifi for their phone, tablet etc.

With some providers (and your contract/terms) you can set up a hotspot from your phone. Works well but a bit slower than the phone and will generally use up your data allocation.

If you are on VODAFONE, they have a Christmas ad just now - featuring streaming without using up your data?

Not sure if a 4g MiFi unit is available for your provider? I have a 15gb monthly contract for around £15 a month?

google 'mifi hotspot' and see what is the best reception for your area ?

Al

I used my iphone hotspot for all our internet for the several weeks it took to get broadband installed here (E. Kent).

I still do during the frequent service outages that characterise our broadband connection. Soon uses up your data allowance though.

I guess if you can get the right contract with plenty of cheap data it could be doable.

I'm on 3. Unlimited data, calls,txt's and 30GB of tethering. All for £19/month.

As long as you have a minimum of 3g in your house, it should all work fine. I have 4g, and some times conecting my laptop to my phone makes the connection quicker than Virgin Fibre.

If 3 has a decent signal - there are a few options including the lead item on this page;

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Mobile_Broadband

Three HomeFi™

Find out who has a decent 4G signal in the area and explore the options. Remember, some brands share networks or have a virtual network running off one of the big 4.

Three has some decent data tariffs. A number of friends who work away a lot use a 3 mifi device for wifi for their phone, tablet etc.

Just a big thanks to everyone above. It's utterly frustrating, fortunately there are always informed folk on here happy to share their knowledge and expertise.

Feeling quite positive this morning :beerjug:

Download the app to find out where and who offers the best signal in your area: https://opensignal.com/

If 4G is an option then get some data-cards from whichever network(s) you think is best - just buy a few MB for a month to test. Once you are satisfied with the results commit to something a little more long term. I have gone the whole hog and ditched BT, my phone, landline and broadband. Now use a Draytek router designed to take a SIM card.

4G data is still more expensive but without the line rental I still make a monthly saving overall.

This might also be a useful website: https://www.mastdata.com/37/37_Homepage.aspx

Download the app to find out where and who offers the best signal in your area: https://opensignal.com/

If 4G is an option then get some data-cards from whichever network(s) you think is best - just buy a few MB for a month to test. Once you are satisfied with the results commit to something a little more long term. I have gone the whole hog and ditched BT, my phone, landline and broadband. Now use a Draytek router designed to take a SIM card.

4G data is still more expensive but without the line rental I still make a monthly saving overall.

This might also be a useful website: https://www.mastdata.com/37/37_Homepage.aspx

Most important, as the providers' websites are a bit vague as to coverage - try a sim to see what you actually get - as above.

Back
Top Bottom