Decoke engine... whats best... anyone found anything good?

In the early 1980s, I had a 1967 split screen VW Transporter with 1500cc of raw power making all of 40bhp (when new) Redex did absolutely booger all. It was scrapped with rot so bad it nearly broke it's back. Today a perfect "project", but sadly not back then.

I remember the old Redex de-coke, where you would run the engine up, remove the spark plugs and pour Redex straight into the cylinder, leave it to soak in for a while (can't recall how long now) and then put some directly down the throat of the carb and start the engine. This produced an awful lot of smoke but I'm not sure it ever did any good. The instructions were printed on the back of the Redex bottle.

Brake fluid down the carb was another one...watch out for the backfire flames...:eek:

I used to pull in to the garage and ask for two shots of red down the old carb....and then start it up...used to fill the garage in white smoke....oh those were the days..(In Africa)

1953 spilt screen

1969 we got one of the first police mini vans at Hoyland Police Station (West Riding) .... WWW 604 G and with it came a full gallon of Redex, with the instructions to put a shot in whenever we filled it up! We never did ....

One of the PC's used to take charge as acting sergeant. He ran an old VW Beetle ... it was running a bit rough, wanted a de-coke :eek:

On nights, two o clock in the morning, ran the Beetle up, took the air cleaner off, and gently poured Redex straight down the carb. Little by little dribbled about two to three pints in it :D

The whole village of Hoyland disappeared under a smoke cloud ... like, I mean, the whole village :blast

.... the Beetle ran beautifully after that :thumb

:beerjug:

indeed.. the old redex.. thats what i need!!... will get some

indeed.. the old redex.. thats what i need!!... will get some
See if they also have some snake oil, then you can relieve your mate's gout and restore your grandma's wooden leg whilst your at it. :D

I thought you'd done a 'top end overhaul' .... as a precautionary measure?

Yep, rings, exhaust and inlet valves but everything was spick and span in there and didn't need and decoking or stuff like that.

See if they also have some snake oil, then you can relieve your mate's gout and restore your grandma's wooden leg whilst your at it. :D

Now't wrong with keeping the rings free snake oil or not....
You'd rather have it full of crud?.....

I think all the smoke from Redex was exactly that - Redex. Impressive though.

Im sure it did absolutely **** all for the engine. As for "upper cylinder lubricant", 2 stroke oil will do that but again quite pointless in a four stroke.

I had some Redex lying around in the garage so decided I might as well give the bike a dose or two. Over a few full tanks of fuel my tank range has definitely increased so it's either improved the mpg or it's bored out a cavity in the tank enabling me to get more fuel in!

You forgot to mention K&N airfilters :blast

It already has one... (came fitted) LOL...Redex does sound like the stuff TJ mentioned it before... will be getting a bottle to put in... what type do you use... have seen injector cleaner....?

I think it's general injector cleaner, I know it's around 30 years old! Probably full of stuff they don't put in anymore hence it doing a good job :nenau

Indeed.. ive still got some old Hammerite..... works a treat :)

The only stuff I've ever personally found to clean my fuel system is a product call Techron (made by Texaco/Chevron), it's not that easy to find though. I got it online from a seller in Holland after having it recommended by a bloke in New Zealand. I had already tried Redex to cure my rough running without success.

Techron fuel additive was the only 'juice' that managed to sort out the carbs on my R1 without having yet another fiddly strip down and clean. Whether or not it can decoke your engine is another matter, but it managed to dissolve the gum and varnish in my carbs and cured my rough running issues so it might help clean your fuel injector nozzles and the back face of the inlet valves.

The only stuff I've ever personally found to clean my fuel system is a product call Techron (made by Texaco/Chevron), it's not that easy to find though. I got it online from a seller in Holland after having it recommended by a bloke in New Zealand. I had already tried Redex to cure my rough running without success.

Techron fuel additive was the only 'juice' that managed to sort out the carbs on my R1 without having yet another fiddly strip down and clean. Whether or not it can decoke your engine is another matter, but it managed to dissolve the gum and varnish in my carbs and cured my rough running issues so it might help clean your fuel injector nozzles and the back face of the inlet valves.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Techron-...187175&hash=item2cc0eb44c8:g:6cIAAOSwbiFZPppb

I think it's general injector cleaner, I know it's around 30 years old! Probably full of stuff they don't put in anymore hence it doing a good job :nenau

Adding a small dose of Atf to a tank of fuel does the same job as redex for a fraction of the price.

Back
Top Bottom