Decoke engine... whats best... anyone found anything good?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I do indendto use good fuel like Sheel V-power as they have all the good stuff in there to clean the system... but would like to give it an inital blast... anyone found anything worth using at all?
Mate of mine said Sea Foam... but want to get it into the cylinders and let them soak... think its been left running on the side stand at some point and the LHS piston looks a bit gummy :)

De-coking engines went out with Morris Minor's and BSA Bantams ...

Just go ride your 'bike and enjoy :D

135,000 miles now and never had the cylinder head off, no shots down the ports, still runs like a dream :thumb

Ride, don't worry ... enjoy ;)

:beerjug:

Edit ... apologies. 1200 section :blast

de coke

whats the reason for a decoke ?is it running fine ? i was lead to beleive that a bit of carbon build up was good -especially on a slow revving donkey -it raises compression and if the valves are ok or its burning a lot of oil i would have thought best to leave it --but i am probably wrong -used to decoke my 2 strokes though -that was fun???:thumb2

I’ve heard it said that the carbon build up compensates for wear in piston rings. Removal of carbon leaves the wear with all the problems that brings. JJH

Mines at 145,000 miles and it's never needed anything like that. It's had all sorts of terrible fuel through it over the years and she pulls like a train.

If you feel you need to do something, use a quality injector cleaner but there is really do need.

Mines at 145,000 miles and it's never needed anything like that. It's had all sorts of terrible fuel through it over the years and she pulls like a train.

If you feel you need to do something, use a quality injector cleaner but there is really do need.

And that is the crux. We cannot leave well enough alone as we search for that something that will make our bikes better. JJH

De-coking engines went out with Morris Minor's and BSA Bantams ...

Just go ride your 'bike and enjoy
:D

135,000 miles now and never had the cylinder head off, no shots down the ports, still runs like a dream :thumb

Ride, don't worry ... enjoy
;)

:beerjug:

Edit ... apologies. 1200 section :blast

Good advice here :thumb2

Something like Shell Optimax or BP Whatever have a few more goodies that (they say) will keep injectors clean but Tesco Momentum 99 drives just the same for quite a bit less money.

On any engine with a knock sensor, posh fuels will put less heat down the exhausts which has to give the valves an easier life. That's enough for me to use it. It also give a little better mpg so higher octane petrol costs about the same to run per mile as ordinary 95 RON. My bike certainly feels reluctant on 95 and can be downright sluggish so I always use the posh stuff. It's pretty much cost neutral so IMO it's a no brainer.

If your spanners are really itchy, have look under the alternator belt cover for paint damage corroding the aluminium. Mine was worst where it's not accessible unless you take the whole cover off including the top part around the alternator pulley.

De-coking engines went out with Morris Minor's
I used to pull in to the garage and ask for two shots of red down the old carb....and then start it up...used to fill the garage in white smoke....oh those were the days..(In Africa)

1953 spilt screen

I used to pull in to the garage and ask for two shots of red down the old carb....and then start it up...used to fill the garage in white smoke....oh those were the days..(In Africa)

1953 spilt screen

In the early 1980s, I had a 1967 split screen VW Transporter with 1500cc of raw power making all of 40bhp (when new) Redex did absolutely booger all. It was scrapped with rot so bad it nearly broke it's back. Today a perfect "project", but sadly not back then.

I remember the old Redex de-coke, where you would run the engine up, remove the spark plugs and pour Redex straight into the cylinder, leave it to soak in for a while (can't recall how long now) and then put some directly down the throat of the carb and start the engine. This produced an awful lot of smoke but I'm not sure it ever did any good. The instructions were printed on the back of the Redex bottle.

Back
Top Bottom