UKGSER problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Strange one this.

Just recently when I click onto a link in a thread....the ones that appear in blue.....like this one given in a recent post.....https://no.co/g3500......the page will not open.

It used to but now it won't!

I can open it by highlighting it then doing a google search but not by simply clicking on.

I wonder if I've inadvertently altered a setting somewhere

I'm using Windows 10

Can anyone help?

Please!

Mike

That one you have posted above is not a link, it contains some additional text too, hence the reason it doesn't work.

This one is https://no.co/g3500

As is this one to the same link.

Not sure if that answers your question?

You have probably picked up a PUP.

Scan it with Malwarebytes/HitmanPro/Zemana and the like. All free, to a point.

You have probably picked up a PUP.

Scan it with Malwarebytes/HitmanPro/Zemana and the like. All free, to a point.

Thanks for that but tried Malware and Kaspersky

Cheers

Mike

Should have said that these types of links on other forums work perfectly.

It is only with UKGSER that I have a problem.

Mike

Have you tried from a different browser or device?

When you hover the mouse pointer over the link, what does it say in the bottom left hand corner of the browser window?

Thanks for trying to help SOAA

I've tried a different browser and its the same but the links work on our laptop. Totally confused now especially as these links work on other sites!

When I click onto a link the link appears in the bottom left hand corner in grey

Cheers

Mike

Which browsers have you tried?

Click on a link so it tries to open it.
Then copy & paste whatever is in your address bar near the top of the screen

Thanks again for your help

I've tried Google Chrome and Yahoo

When I click on a link I get the correct address in a new tab but the address bar says 'about:blank'

Strangely if I highlight the link and then try to 'open link in new tab' or 'open link in new window' or 'open link in incognito window' it works every time. Just does not work when I simply click onto the link.

Very strange

Mike

I agree that it is a strange problem, especially as you say it is only happening on UKGSer.

I am not familiar with the Yahoo browser, however I shall help you get to the bottom of this problem with Google Chrome at least.

The first thing I would recommend doing is disabling any extensions that you have.
Open a new tab and then in the address bar type:

chrome://extensions

And then hit the Enter key on your keyboard. This should load a page that will show you all of the extensions that are installed in the Google Chrome browser.

Click on each tick next to Enabled to disable each extension.

Now close Google Chrome, reopen it and try clicking a link from UKGSer. If it works, then great we know the problem is related to a rogue extension and it's simply a case of re-enabling each extension one by one until we find the one that is causing the problem.
If the problem still exists after all extensions have been disabled then you may as well go ahead and re-enable them all.

Post back and let me know if the above resolves the problem for you. If it doesn't then there is more that we can try but I'll like to see if this sorts it first before detailing further fixes

I really appreciate you trying to help me.

I've disabled all my extensions as you instructed but the problem remains.

One thing I have found out however, is that if the link is to a UKGSER page it works but all external ones don't! Does that help?

Thanks again

Mike

OK at this stage I would recommend clearing your browsing data, or reinstalling Google Chrome.
I’m currently not near a PC to be able to double check the method for clearing your browsing data, so I will just give you the link to re-download Google Chrome from.
Download it from here: http://www.google.com/chrome

Once you download & run it, be sure to close any Google Chrome browsers you have open before continuing.

Follow the onscreen steps to reinstall Google Chrome & then try a link on UKGSer again.
Let me know how you get on

Thanks again

I've been out most of the day so I'll try it tomorrow and get back to you.

Mike

Do you have Java enabled? "about:blank" is what usually shows up if you try to open a Java link in a new tab. If Java is disabled, it might cause similar behaviour.

I've now cleared the browsing data but the problem is still there.

Mike

Thanks for your input. Java is enabled.

Mike

When I first started this thread I expected it to be a common fault and an easy fix.

This has proved not to be the case and I am very grateful for all the suggestions I have received, especially from Jamie.

I can easily get around this problem and I am starting to think that finding a solution is proving to be more effort (on your behalf) than its worth.

Thanks again all but I think it's best if I live with the problem

Mike

As you can see from above I was all prepared to give up but SOAA has figured it out and all is now working.

Jamie you are a star.

Many,many thanks

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom