Best touring screen for K1600GT?

jp842

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have the standard screen on my 2013 K1600GT, but find it a bit hard work on tours as it buffets my head at high speeds on the motorway. Has anyone had experience of screens more suited to touring? I know its probably horses for courses, but I wonder if anyone has any recommendations. I am 5 feet 10 and have the seat on the low setting.

Take the screen off completely and you will be surprisd how smooth it is.

Loads of options available, just try searching here ............ http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/uk-riders/

Personally, at 6 ft seat on high, I found the OE screen OK, indeed too much back pressure on high setting tbh. Could be the mirrors creating turbulance?

Maybe if you use good ear protection & you can run the screen lower & smooth out the flow.

Lower could be the way to go. I have the smaller screen on my GT Sport and run it in the lower setting. To my surprise it has generated less turbulence than the standard screens, and I am 2m tall,

I find the original screen to be less than ideal but I'm reluctant to shell out more dosh when there's every possibility it could make things worse. It's all so individual that someone else saying "screen X is better" doesn't really mean too much.

I have the screen on minimum height or a short prod raised only. More than that the wind protection is great but very buffety. If I ever change it I think I'd probably go for a smaller screen rather than a bigger one. If anyone has a GT Sport screen for sale I'd be interested...

The Givi AF screens work so well because they separate the airflow around the movable part so there is less of a low pressure area to cause turbulence.
Without an equivalent you’ll probably not do any better than having the screen set low.

I’m on my second 1600, having owned one since they were first released.

Every rider is different, either by height, the way they sit on the bike, the helmet they wear, whether or not they wear earplugs, whether they are prepared to accept some buffeting or wind noise is a part of motorcycling or if they think it’s only great if they sit in bubble of nothing.

From 1000’s of miles, I have found that where I sit the standard, near enough infinitely adjustable screen (which I think is fine) might differ depending on the mood I’m in, the ‘cleanness’ of the air (the air on busy motorways is more turbulent than say an alpine valley at 08:00 on a summer’s morning) the speed I am travelling at, any crosswinds and God knows what else.

I find the original screen to be less than ideal but I'm reluctant to shell out more dosh when there's every possibility it could make things worse. It's all so individual that someone else saying "screen X is better" doesn't really mean too much.

I have the screen on minimum height or a short prod raised only. More than that the wind protection is great but very buffety. If I ever change it I think I'd probably go for a smaller screen rather than a bigger one. If anyone has a GT Sport screen for sale I'd be interested...

I think you should try an alternative and when it is not a success sell it on here at a greatly reduced cost :thumb2

I am on a 1300 at the moment but similar issue. I have (mostly) resolved it using the MRA X screen very adjustable and very quick to put on and off and easy to change on the fly. Having the gap between screens is actually a benefit as it gets rid of a lot of the single screen back pressure caused by simply raising the Perspex. I posted on this when I got it and remain of the opinion it is a good investment and easily carry to new bikes etc. Happy to lend to anyone who wants to see if it works. I am in Weft Suffix - pm me if you want to try it. For those further afield maybe post in the general forum to find someone near you.

Back
Top Bottom