Windows 10 upgrade 1709 problems

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone updated to Windows 1709 yet as mine has auto updated and this has disabled antivirus drivers and stopped some apps from working. I'm not sure what other issues I've got so I've rolled back to the previous version. Is this a problem anyone else has had.
Thanks
G

There should be a log if what was disabled and why. AV in particular can have issues as win 10 changes the way they have to work. Any of the major ones updated should have no problems though.

Have about 40 machines that have updated at work with no issues.

I (perhaps unwisely) used the Journal notes frequently; I know it's allegedly fraught with security issues.

The upgrade seems to have completely killed it off and now I've lost all the access to the .jnt notes stored on my machine.
If anyone can point me to a workaround I'd be a happy chappy and I'll stand you a beer. :thumb

The machine also seems to struggle opening the File Associations by App - for some oblique reason best known to itself.

My old ex windows 7 machine upgraded to windows 10 went to restart after this update and never restarted . New computer bought Monday, got some of my stuff back but lost hundreds of stored emails kept in folders, also lost the hundreds of cds burnt to iTunes.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone updated to Windows 1709 yet as mine has auto updated and this has disabled antivirus drivers and stopped some apps from working. I'm not sure what other issues I've got so I've rolled back to the previous version. Is this a problem anyone else has had.
Thanks
G

I'd abandeoned third party AV and firewall software shortly after W10 came through. W10 protection is pretty robust, unless you're really delving into some dodgy stuff.

My old ex windows 7 machine upgraded to windows 10 went to restart after this update and never restarted . New computer bought Monday, got some of my stuff back but lost hundreds of stored emails kept in folders, also lost the hundreds of cds burnt to iTunes.........

Didn't you have backups

Restore point. Start it in safe mode and wind it back.

I'd abandeoned third party AV and firewall software shortly after W10 came through. W10 protection is pretty robust, unless you're really delving into some dodgy stuff.

Agreed, Defender is more than good enough these days and with all the security work going into Win10 it's pretty robust.

It disabled restore and wiped the back up clean on mine so having rolled back I've now switched it back on and created the first restore point.
As it happens the pub discussion last night was we all have had issues with this update and rolled back.

Restore point. Start it in safe mode and wind it back.

I can't understand why some emails come in but most that were in separate folders have not:nenau

From what I read iTunes does not restore music you have burnt, shame that will take me a while and some of the cd's I have got rid of:eek:

I can't understand why some emails come in but most that were in separate folders have not:nenau

From what I read iTunes does not restore music you have burnt, shame that will take me a while and some of the cd's I have got rid of:eek:
What was the mail client?
It is possible that the missing emails were in an archive of some sort stored locally. For example outlook uses a pst file for this.

On the old drive assuming you haven't wiped or overwritten it your mail will be here \Users\<userlogin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live

On the old drive assuming you haven't wiped or overwritten it your mail will be here \Users\<userlogin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live

The operating system never restarted, which is why I bought the new computer. I took the hard drive out of the old computer and put a hammer through it

The operating system never restarted, which is why I bought the new computer. I took the hard drive out of the old computer and put a hammer through it

Just because the windows install screwed up doesn't mean the drive couldn't be read. Oh well it all gone now.

Why on earth would you do that?
With a bit of patience we could have talked you through how to get your data back.
Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom