California in May 2018

Lucky08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Off to LA in early May next year for 10 days biking. Went in 2007 and rented from Eaglerider and headed south. This time I'm heading North with a rough plan to ride from LA to San Fran overnighting half way (looking at Pismo beach for no other reason than it is halfway!). 2 days in San Fran and then head towards Yosemite. If the 120 is open I'd like to head to Lee Vining, stay for a night and then head to Big Pine and then over to the 95 stay somewhere along that road. From there into Las Vegas for a night and then ride out towards LA stopping somewhere halfway (Barstow?) and then finally into LA to either finish up or ride out to HW2 and/or Joshua Tree National Park.

If anyone has any tips on other routes they would be gratefully received, as would hotel/accommodation recommendations. Also are there any other options for bike hire in LA other than Eaglerider (I only need a bike. No tours/sat navs etc.)

Noted the recommendation of taking the 33 from Ventura and joining the 166 back to the coast (Thanks Bilco). Also note that early May could scupper plans to ride through Yosemite; so would appreciate any other options people could recommend heading towards to Las Vegas/LA as a plan B.

Don't worry I'm all over Google for advice as well (Wapping).:)

Thanks

I'd highly recommend the Hotel Charlotte in Groveland when heading to Yosemite. The best views of Yosemite are definitely from Glacier Point :thumby: You don't see much from the valley floor

On the other side of the Sierras, Bodie ghost town is a must, although the last couple of miles is a graded gravel road. It is passable by bike as there were a load of Iron Butt riders there when I visited last year.

Highway 190 into Death Valley from Lone Pine is a fantastic road and Death Valley is stunning. Don't miss it - I was expecting it to be a featureless desert, but the mountains, sand dunes and viewing points are amazing. Furnace Creek resort was a great place to stay.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/305523-California-amp-South-West-USA

I'd highly recommend the Hotel Charlotte in Groveland when heading to Yosemite. The best views of Yosemite are definitely from Glacier Point :thumby: You don't see much from the valley floor

On the other side of the Sierras, Bodie ghost town is a must, although the last couple of miles is a graded gravel road. It is passable by bike as there were a load of Iron Butt riders there when I visited last year.

Highway 190 into Death Valley from Lone Pine is a fantastic road and Death Valley is stunning. Don't miss it - I was expecting it to be a featureless desert, but the mountains, sand dunes and viewing points are amazing. Furnace Creek resort was a great place to stay.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/305523-California-amp-South-West-USA

Thanks Sven, appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom