Scotland’s North Coast 500 (NC500) In 2 Days

TomBoyNI

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In Summer 2016 I took myself over to Scotland on my F800GSA, my mate on his Kawasaki ZX10R to go for a zip round the North Coast 500 Route. Eventually I have got my finger out and put together a ride report and a few photos...

Any comments / suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for looking anyway...

http://tbni.blog/2017/12/09/scotlands-north-coast-500-nc500-ride-report/

Nice write up & pics TB :thumb

Scotland's a brilliant place on a bike, even in the rain

Hi

Again great write up and pics, it's an amazing place. A few of us did it at Easter this year and we are booked to do it again in May next year. This time we are stopping in a place called Lairg which is kind of central. This will be our base for the week and will do different parts of the 500 each day without having to pack up our bike everyday and move from hotel to hotel.

Unfortunately we have noticed that a lot of places are booked up for next year already.

Here is one of my fav pics ( ps will prob do it on the gs next year )

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Jessydog/media/IMG_4147.jpg.html

Regards Rob

It's getting too busy now, was better years ago before it got all the media publicity.

It's getting too busy now, was better years ago before it got all the media publicity.

A bit like the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland then. There are still times of the year though that these routes quite down. Generally as the weather gets worse.

But then there is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad gear.

Hi

Again great write up and pics, it's an amazing place. A few of us did it at Easter this year and we are booked to do it again in May next year. This time we are stopping in a place called Lairg which is kind of central. This will be our base for the week and will do different parts of the 500 each day without having to pack up our bike everyday and move from hotel to hotel.

Unfortunately we have noticed that a lot of places are booked up for next year already.

Here is one of my fav pics ( ps will prob do it on the gs next year )

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Jessydog/media/IMG_4147.jpg.html

Regards Rob

Cracking photo.

Hi,

Ty, Im gearing up for next year already, just bought some waterproof socks ;) PMSL

Did it earlier in the year myself, would be a great route if it were not for all the motor homes!

See you stayed at Kens in Scourie, what a real gent . Lovely place to stop

Did it earlier in the year myself, would be a great route if it were not for all the motor homes!

Mostly the Motorhomes are OK, its the bloody rented ones whereby the driver has no idea of driving on the single carriageway roads :blast

It's the one make car clubs which are a pain in the ass. Twenty three TVR's all in a line will not fit in to one passing place :blast

Nice report :thumb

:beerjug:

New to the Forum having just upgraded my G650 to a 1200GS. Cycled the NC500 in August 2016; what a brilliant route, and recognised everyone of your pictures. Took us 10 days rather than 2 mind. I'm led to believe that the route has got quite busy even since 2016, but is still well worth doing. The biggest issue we had was the midges not the traffic, albeit when I do it this year on the bike I'm hoping the speed will keep the little buggers at bay. One useful tip, IMHO don't waste time doing the John O'groats / Wick section (depressing, flat and soulless), instead take the cracking single track road from Melvich down to Helmsdale. Brilliant route, but then again that would make it a NC400 :). And if you like train journeys, catch the train from Thurso to Inverness, it's one of the wildest, most scenic 4 hour train journeys you will experience in the world. Anyway, thanks OP for brightening my day up with some very fond memories. :)

Back
Top Bottom