Touratech and quality (lack of)

ThomasGN

Reaction score
Hi

I have bought some frame protections from Touratech. The protectors are made to protect the frame from being scratched by my boots. They work as intended but the plastic has turned gray instead of the original black colour. Non of the original BMW plastic parts have lost their blackness so I contacted Touratech.
The offered me to buy new protectors to a reduced prize. This is offending as Touratech is so expensive that they should be able to stay black even after guarantee has expired with a couple of months. Especially on parts that are supposed to used outdoor. Furthermore, my bike is parked in my workshop when I am home.

What are your experiences with Touratech? Are they selling expensive but crappy plastic quality? Or am I just unlucky?

I haven't bought much TT stuff but never had an issue with quality, funny you should mention the frame protectors as I was looking at genuine BMW ones saturday as fitted to the rally and they were cheaper than the touratech ones.

I haven't bought much TT stuff but never had an issue with quality, funny you should mention the frame protectors as I was looking at genuine BMW ones saturday as fitted to the rally and they were cheaper than the touratech ones.

Thats what I have and they are same colour as when I bought them 6 months ago

i have a set of TT frame protectors, mine went grey...Chinese tat

I have the frame infil panels, work well, 3 years old but they have discoloured, if someone else made them I wouldn’t buy touratech plastic again, although I am a big lover of most of their items

Hi

I have bought some frame protections from Touratech. The protectors are made to protect the frame from being scratched by my boots. They work as intended but the plastic has turned gray instead of the original black colour. Non of the original BMW plastic parts have lost their blackness so I contacted Touratech.
The offered me to buy new protectors to a reduced prize. This is offending as Touratech is so expensive that they should be able to stay black even after guarantee has expired with a couple of months. Especially on parts that are supposed to used outdoor. Furthermore, my bike is parked in my workshop when I am home.

What are your experiences with Touratech? Are they selling expensive but crappy plastic quality? Or am I just unlucky?

Never had a problem with Touratech quality, their products are always ridiculously overpriced, more so their plastic items. I wasn't prepared to pay their prices for frame protectors so I got a Chinese copy off eBay at a 1/3 of the price and they are perfectly fine.

The BMW ones are IMHO far better looking and fitting than the TT ones - which discolour. Any surprise parts of TT went into administration?

Problem with Touratech is that once they expanded to try and take over the world a hell of a lot of their stuff is now made by subcontractors or rebranded gear (or tat) from other manufacturers, quality is bound to suffer

BMW ones are cheaper than TT ones... and mine have NOT discoloured or faded in the 6 months they have been fitted.
IMHO, TT stuff is overpriced, and their rip-off sales technique of only be able to buy from TT UK instead of purchasing from TT Germany (which always seemed cheaper...well, less extortionate) is disgusting.

There’s far better stuff than TT in my opinion, and I for one will not be buying from them. Our very own Mark Hooten (Cymarc) makes better stuff, at a better price.

Boycott TT, the sooner they go bust the better in my opinion !

I for one think Touratech’s products are pretty good, yes it can be expensive but no more than Altriider, wunderlich et:
At the end of the day, pay your money take your choice.

Boycott TT, the sooner they go bust the better in my opinion !

Why?

You pay your money and make your choice. WTF would you wish a company, with employees to go bust?

Why?

You pay your money and make your choice. WTF would you wish a company, with employees to go bust?

I agree with the above, no one company are perfect at everything, but I did pick up a Touratech polo shirt at Garmisch & I’m proud to wear it...

I agree with the above, no one company are perfect at everything, but I did pick up a Touratech polo shirt at Garmisch & I’m proud to wear it...

I did see them selling them off cheap Phil..........

Ah, you'll be needing 'Frame Protector Protectors'. It's in the catalogue, page 944 just above the one hundred and fifty quid travel mug.

My mate has got a set of these TT frame protectors and they've faded to grey.

I thought about the alternatives and went with 3M helicopter tape instead. Looks better IMHO and much, much cheaper. I also use it for the centre stand bar and the passenger grab rails as I tend to catch them with my boots when I throw a leg over.

My mate has got a set of these TT frame protectors and they've faded to grey.

I thought about the alternatives and went with 3M helicopter tape instead. Looks better IMHO and much, much cheaper. I also use it for the centre stand bar and the passenger grab rails as I tend to catch them with my boots when I throw a leg over.

Did you use clear?

I bought the BMW items when I bought the bike earlier this year, predominantly as they were in stock at my local dealer and cheaper than the Touratech parts.

They have taken some punishment but are still black and look in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom