Compression testing... and plugs

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm going to check my compression by getting the engine hot taking the plugs out etc... but can you just disconnect the coils at the connector instead of needing to earth plugs and having them spark away?
Sounds a better option if you can... ow will it cause damage??.. :)

BTW.. why does the search thing on here not work?

The coils have a standard connector lift the retaining tag with screwdriver and pull the plug out.

Google search has always been more effective. Just put “ukgser” ahead of your search string.

so you can just take the coils off and do the test without any issues?.. may as well remove all 4...

The coils are plug top type the same as a car. There is no HT lead but you "could" connect a remote coil and lead with would work.

Ive not done the job but for compression testing you might find the secondary plug holes are easier for connecting the reassure gauge.

Google "3 wire plug top coils" for more information.

Only need unplug the main coils leave the lower secondary system in place. . Unplug the fuel injector electrical connector so no fuel gets squirted into the barrels while turning the engine over on full throttle.

Only need unplug the main coils leave the lower secondary system in place. . Unplug the fuel injector electrical connector so no fuel gets squirted into the barrels while turning the engine over on full throttle.

so only 1 injecter per side.. I did hear of a tickover or cold running injector?... last thing you want is the thing to fire... good buy gauge...
Why can't you unplug them all.. will that damage things?

You can unplug the coils electrical connectors. They are the usual type with little tag that you pry (gently) with a flat screwdriver to release the clip.

so only 1 injecter per side.. I did hear of a tickover or cold running injector?... last thing you want is the thing to fire... good buy gauge...
Why can't you unplug them all.. will that damage things?

There is no need to unplug them all. You can if you want to but why ?
Why not let your tyres down as well while you're at it. :D

Just so it does not fire.... its 2 seconds of a job so not a problem... letting tyres down and Pumping them back up would take much longer... bnige

210 psi cold.. so unless it goes belly up when warm.. looks very good?

The manual says 204 as good condition... so its up there... not interested in the figure TBH, more that they are the same.... how accurate are these gauges???

Goodness knows what manual you got that from. A good reading would be 145psi.

145 poor
174 normal
203 good

Haynes manual... It is a twin cam if that makes any difference

Got to say my figures kind of support what it says?... and I've found my gauge quite accurate in the past on other bikes / cars....

Back
Top Bottom