yellow stain on starter motor cover

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

my new to me 2000 1150gs has a yellow drible on the starter motor cover...it seems just like something has leaked froim under the tank to the left and stained the finish. it is obvious that this is an old stain and not something recent, so I am not worried about anything mechanical at this stage...I am curious as to what this could be - i cannot see any hydraulic cables etc on top of the starter motor....

R.

well it looks like piss :)....the only reason I am concerned is that I took off the starter motore cover and sprayed it.....dont wont the same shit staining it again :)

If your yellow stain is like mine, it is due to petrol: I had a dribble coming out of the breather hoses which has stained one side of my swing arm.

If your yellow stain is like mine, it is due to petrol: I had a dribble coming out of the breather hoses which has stained one side of my swing arm.

Wot he said.
Ive found the same stain on many BMs over the years.

just be glad that it’s on the starter motor cover which can be easily removed and sprayed. hammerite smooth silver is a good match. most have the fuel stains on the other side, on the gearbox, which is far more inconvenient to paint. I sprayed mine black when it was off the bike as it looked like a tramp had pissed on it.

It just might not be piss!

I had similar after the dealer had applied some anti rust treatment to the underside of the fuel tank. I think some of it dripped and ran down staining the cover. Hammerite silver is your friend

Good to know - will keep away from overfilling the tank then!!!!

Reroute the hoses coming from the tank so that the extra petrol will drip under the bike.

Pekka

Back
Top Bottom