Top Box Lock Woe

Barge

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I am hoping that you will be able to help me with a lock problem.

I have a 2010 R1200GSA, which I bought used. A single key fits all of the locks on the bike and luggage (standard BMW/Touratech aluminium fare), except for the lock that locks the top box to the rear rack. I suspect that the key would fit, but for the fact that it only goes in less than halfway. I can’t see what is stopping the key going in, but I have tried jiggling the lock upside down, but nothing falls out. I have also tried poking stuff in the lock the see if the obstruction could be moved, but to no effect. I then squirted some powdered graphite in there, to see if that would loosen anything off, but still no success.

Having undone 2 of the bolts that hold the lock on I have managed to carefully prise the box off the rack. The other two boys are inaccessible with the lock in the closed position.

Has anyone got any idea of what the next move could be, preferable without destroying the lock?

Thanks

Use some penetrating oil in the lock so you can get it open. Then go on YouTube for instructions on changing the internal lock plates. Open it up clean it properly and lube with a lock specific dry lube.
Then get a plastic lock protector from BMW. I mean the hard type with little rubber “string”. The soft rubber type are perfectly useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it is anything like my fuel cap lock then good luck.
As Bendy said plenty of penetrating fluid and lots of patients,wiggle the key a bit each time you try and a VERY slight tap will help

The plates had seized solid and the lock body eaten away

New lock barrel from NOG that comes with enough lock plates to refit to your lock, from memory was about £25

Laurence

Thanks. It is on my list for this weekend. The trouble I have had is being told never to put oils or liquids in locks, but I can see that there really is no other choice of non-destructively fixing it.

The luggage locks come apart to change the lock plates so plenty of penetrating oil wont do any harm - you can clean it out. But saying that, I have a padlock that was on my mother's garage since the 1980s. It's had WD40, 3in1, Yobbo Brand, etc. It's never frozen up and still works fine.

The sliding pin lock I have for the bike chain also gets penetrating oil. Last time was a silicone oil. It's working smoothly. It has to be - that pin can be tough to move if there is any pull from the chain.

..............and when you have it all sorted, oil them regularly, light machine oil would be good and keep the rubbery/plastic tongue thingy in place.

I´ve said it before and I´ll say it again

Liberally apply lock cleaner and then lock oil. Dont use anything other than lock oil in locks. You want an oil that is thin and doesnt dry. Pouring powder of any kind in a lock is asking for trouble. Graphite will work for a while but sooner or later it will gunk up.

The releasing spray has been in there for 2 days and I have been wiggling a sharpened cable tie in the lock each time I walk past. No success yet, but I am ever hopeful!

Thanks again guys

be sure that you are using a penetrating oil ... not the likes of WD40 or GT85...

Back
Top Bottom