Interesting write up

stick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Read a good write up in Ride about the Rally and the 1290 r , worth looking at as its tells it how I feel about the two bikes and have posted before ( 1290s tho)
The Bm wins again .....

Read a good write up in Ride about the Rally and the 1290 r , worth looking at as its tells it how I feel about the two bikes and have posted before ( 1290s tho)
The Bm wins again .....
I think it's only a matter of time before the gs looses its crown. The adventure bikes are relatively evenly matched these days, imo All it would take is another celebrity adventure ride on a another machine and folk would convert

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The GS is a great bike and has many many things going in its favour but I personally think it will lose its crown as a result of penny pinching build quality and other offerings like KTM are starting to deliver a much more exciting ride with better build and longer service intervals etc

I think it's only a matter of time before the gs looses its crown. The adventure bikes are relatively evenly matched these days, imo All it would take is another celebrity adventure ride on a another machine and folk would convert

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not sure that people these days are buying the GS because of Ewan and Charlie's exploits, though I guess that is what started the bandwagon rolling. Certainly never entered my mind when I recently bought my first GS. My decision was based on functionality for both solo and two-up riding as confirmed by a test ride, and was despite the reliability/quality issues as nothing else suited my needs better. Having said that, I am sure there is an element of fashionability in the GS's appeal to some people, and fashion being a fickle thing, it could all change if another manufacturer manages to capture people's imaginations.

I must admit, I was impressed with the Charlie & Ewan exploits on the GS but always thought that it was too big a bike for me. However, being persuaded to take one for a test ride whilst my F800ST was in for service had me hooked. Despite the paint issues, I will seriously consider another when I decide to replace it.

Not sure that people these days are buying the GS because of Ewan and Charlie's exploits, though I guess that is what started the bandwagon rolling. Certainly never entered my mind when I recently bought my first GS. My decision was based on functionality for both solo and two-up riding as confirmed by a test ride, and was despite the reliability/quality issues as nothing else suited my needs better. Having said that, I am sure there is an element of fashionability in the GS's appeal to some people, and fashion being a fickle thing, it could all change if another manufacturer manages to capture people's imaginations.

.....plus the badge snobbery thing.

Having said that, I am sure there is an element of fashionability in the GS's appeal to some people...

Crikey, I thought I'd bought my GS despite its fashion appeal - they're about as popular as Millwall FC to all but their followers, aren't they? "Everybody hates us - we don't care" I believe it went - even UKGSer forum regulars hate the GS it seems to me.

I got myself a gs because BMW told me I’ll be living the dream!... although I still can’t work out why other bike riders don’t wave back. Probably jealous of all my cool lights.

Crikey, I thought I'd bought my GS despite its fashion appeal - they're about as popular as Millwall FC to all but their followers, aren't they? "Everybody hates us - we don't care" I believe it went - even UKGSer forum regulars hate the GS it seems to me.

They may be resented by riders of other makes, not sure why, perhaps they don't realise how good they are and think we ride them just for reasons of badge snobbery. However, no matter how good they are, it is just the the sheer numbers out there that almost put me off having one, as I don't generally like to follow the crowd. It is a bit ironic that you buy an expensive top of the range bike, only to find that it is as common as muck. Somebody said recently that BMW sell more GS/GSA bikes than Triumph make in total, and I can well believe it. Still, I've made enough changes to mine (RT exhaust, Shad luggage, and AirFlow screen) that it looks noticeably different and is pretty much unique. Although the mods were done for practical reasons, making the bike a little different is a welcome side effect.

How Sad......

The new Triumph was a consideration when they said that it had lost weight, but the road version has lost almost nothing in weight, so it’s probably still too top heavy.

No other ‘adventure’ bike has the telelver front end - best solution for fully loaded with a pillion - and shaft drive or such a good dealer back up, nothing comes even close at the moment - I am open to suggestions, KTM is out as they are all chain drive, no good for all year everyday riding.

I have my Thruxton R for fun but I also want the best allrounder that money can buy.

However, no matter how good they are, it is just the the sheer numbers out there that almost put me off having one, as I don't generally like to follow the crowd. It is a bit ironic that you buy an expensive top of the range bike, only to find that it is as common as muck.

I'm with you there! As well as my current GS, I also had this issue when I bought my VFR. Tried for ages to find something else, then pulled the trigger and loved the thing.

.... I am open to suggestions, KTM is out as they are all chain drive, no good for all year everyday riding....

:nenau

Mine has a tutoro chan oiler, needs adjusting .... ummm ..... twice a year (which is a five minute job), and what oil / lube I do get on the back number plate and back wheel comes off in about 30 seconds with a B&Q decorators wet wipe.

Remember that discussion we regularly have about soul, character, performance, and why some bikes just have a bit more va va voom about them .. seem to be more spritely ? make riding FUN .. ??!!

There's a reason why KTM's stick to chains you know .... !!

Giles I must admit that before my BM I had seventeen chain driven bikes from 1964 on. Appart from one snapped chain (Norton 650) I never ever had probs with any of the bikes chains. Just used gunk to clean then castrol chain spray or such like,if anything I always overdid the lub but hey never any probs appart from messy dirty chain but that’s what chains are about I think my Ducati 900 was the only one I had to replace the chain sprockets on.

I really can't understand why manufacturers don't fit fully enclosed chains on adventure/trail bikes.
It would save a lot of messing about and preserve the life of the chain.
Granted it may look a tad uncool but give me practicality any day.

I really can't understand why manufacturers don't fit fully enclosed chains on adventure/trail bikes.
It would save a lot of messing about and preserve the life of the chain.
Granted it may look a tad uncool but give me practicality any day.

Honda already do on one of their adv bikes , and everybody knows that Hondas are uncool :; :D

:nenau

Mine has a tutoro chan oiler, needs adjusting .... ummm ..... twice a year (which is a five minute job), and what oil / lube I do get on the back number plate and back wheel comes off in about 30 seconds with a B&Q decorators wet wipe.

Remember that discussion we regularly have about soul, character, performance, and why some bikes just have a bit more va va voom about them .. seem to be more spritely ? make riding FUN .. ??!!

There's a reason why KTM's stick to chains you know .... !!

Yeah I know, I have a chain driven bike and it’s FUN! but for everyday use and fully loaded touring, shaft is better because there is zero maintenance - if you ride through winter on salty roads a chain needs constant cleaning and lubing to avoid rust and you have to de-gunk around the gearbox sprocket, that’s why the Thruxon R stays mostly in garage at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom