Interesting write up

As soon as KTM does lowered bikes, I am 5’10” but can’t do both feet down, then they will surge ahead. IMHO the KTM is a far superior bike.

Honda already do on one of their adv bikes , and everybody knows that Hondas are uncool :; :D

If you are referring to the X-ADV, then unfortunately the chain is not fully enclosed - it has a larger than usual chain guard, but it only goes over the outboard side of the chain, the inboard side is still exposed.

Crikey, I thought I'd bought my GS despite its fashion appeal - they're about as popular as Millwall FC to all but their followers, aren't they? "Everybody hates us - we don't care" I believe it went - even UKGSer forum regulars hate the GS it seems to me.

+1

'''''''''''''

As soon as KTM does lowered bikes, I am 5’10” but can’t do both feet down, then they will surge ahead. IMHO the KTM is a far superior bike.

Im 5’10 and can flat foot both feet on my 1290S. And that’s with the higher PowerParts seat.

The BMW has been king for along time, all good things come to an end though.

I do see a new king in the very near future though ,Bmw are slacking a bit in a few depts.

With Bmw selling nearly double the amount of GS s compared to its nearest rival I’m not sure the all rounder will ever be knocked off its number one spot , even by a focused Austrian machine .

Complete bollocks, I have a scotoiler installed on my XR and the chain is zero hassle apart from renewing every 15-20k and I ride all year round.

Shaft is zero maintenance and that’s what I want, chain isn’t zero maintenance despite what you say - also the telever has yet to be bettered for heavy loads and pillion on the road. The duo-lever would probably be as good but no-one does one on an adventure bike yet as far as I know???

With Bmw selling nearly double the amount of GS s compared to its nearest rival I’m not sure the all rounder will ever be knocked off its number one spot , even by a focused Austrian machine .

The only thing that KTM or one of the other manufacturers could do is to make a direct copy of the GS and fix all the little niggles - why don’t they?

The only thing that KTM or one of the other manufacturers could do is to make a direct copy of the GS and fix all the little niggles - why don’t they?

Good point . As I say both are great bikes but I think the KTM is too focused for many .

I also agree that shaft drives are the way to go for winter riding , especially this week with the tonnes of crud on the roads . Chain driven is fine if your prepared to put a reasonable amount of effort in cleaning after every ride , each to their own I suppose

Yeah I know, I have a chain driven bike and it’s FUN! but for everyday use and fully loaded touring, shaft is better because there is zero maintenance - if you ride through winter on salty roads a chain needs constant cleaning and lubing to avoid rust and you have to de-gunk around the gearbox sprocket, that’s why the Thruxon R stays mostly in garage at the moment.

I ride my 1190R all year round and commute into work on it.

Modern chains and lubes are a world apart from what we grew up with and as ever you are taking out of your arse. I don't even have a chain oiler and I'm still on my original chain on a 14 plate with life left in it still.

What little maintenance I do to my chain at this time of year (clean and re-grease once a fortnight) is more than equalled by the amount of time you spend cleaning and Scotoiling your GS to prevent it dissolving before your eyes.

Back to the OP ~ I didn't read the article but in my opinion the GS is always going to have broader appeal than the KTM 'R'. The 'R' is a much more focused bike. For me that's a good thing but not for everybody. The GS has hit the sweet spot as a 'jack of all trades' bike but that's what turns me off them, it's good at most things but doesn't really excel at anything.

Now, if we compare the 'S' to a GS then I think it's pretty close. The 'S' has all the techno bollox that seems to appeal to a lot of GS owners. Is a gnats breath off being as good two up. Is better built and, well, just goes, stops and handles in a different league to the GS.

The GS is a tool. A good tool. But, a soulless tool.

The KTM has soul in spades and for me that's what biking is about. Soul :)

Andres

Good point . As I say both are great bikes but I think the KTM is too focused for many .

I also agree that shaft drives are the way to go for winter riding , especially this week with the tonnes of crud on the roads . Chain driven is fine if your prepared to put a reasonable amount of effort in cleaning after every ride , each to their own I suppose

My Thruxton R is:

Sex, Class A drugs and Rock & Roll all wrapped up in the best looking motorcycle on the market at present - it would be plain wrong to put a shaft drive on that, so I am happy spend time on chain maintenance but I only do about 5,000 miles a year on it.

My LC GS is a the best all year round workaday tool, the best tourer for all roads, the best load and pillion carrier bar none - and still great fun on the Alpine roads - I don’t want to be faffing about with chains when I am doing 1,000 miles a month.

KTM et al would do well to copy the GS.

Read a good write up in Ride about the Rally and the 1290 r , worth looking at as its tells it how I feel about the two bikes and have posted before ( 1290s tho)
The Bm wins again .....

Stick , the problem is these Journo-types get influenced by the huge BM Marketing machine ...
Bribed with advertising revenues, trips to fab hotels and freebies....

One guy on here has both bikes and he prefers the KTM. I think sometimes our loyalty to the GS blinds us to other developments and ideas.
Since he is unbiased, I think he's probably right.... it's more exciting and hugely capable.

(I still can't bring myself to buy one till they pop a shaft drive on it though , and the KTM dealers raise their game .....)

Back
Top Bottom