Please recommend me a tyre foot pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

I've got a 2017 TE with cast wheels and TPM

When I went to check and blow up my tyres the tyre pump would not engage on the valve stems so the tyre was deflated slightly. The valve stems were simply too short. I've used this pump on many bikes without a problem but not my TE

I could simply buy another pump from Halfords/eBay etc but I need to know it well work on my bike.

I look forward to any recommendations and maybe a bit of p*#$ taking

Mike

How about using a screw on 90 degree valve adaptor?

A couple of my bikes give the problem you mentioned so I just keep an adaptor in my pocket.

Hi All

I've got a 2017 TE with cast wheels and TPM

When I went to check and blow up my tyres the tyre pump would not engage on the valve stems so the tyre was deflated slightly. The valve stems were simply too short. I've used this pump on many bikes without a problem but not my TE

I could simply buy another pump from Halfords/eBay etc but I need to know it well work on my bike.

I look forward to any recommendations and maybe a bit of p*#$ taking

Mike

I use little screw on extenders, makes life much easier.

These things

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/breakdown-essentials/halfords-metal-valve-tyre-extenders?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Garage+Equipment-_-Breakdown+Essentials-_-171854&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=qwwawapqx&istBid=tzxx&_$ja=tsid:94971%7Ccid:865695754%7Cagid:43902127135%7Ctid:pla-328947887203%7Ccrid:203186037795%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:11444634401231545659%7Cdvc:t%7Cadp:1o2%7Cmt:%7Cloc:1007101&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImraKuIeI2AIVA-EbCh3qgQC8EAQYAiABEgLWefD_BwE

I use a Michelin one I bought from Halfords around 10 years ago. Always worked fine for me.

I have the same bike (assuming GS not GSA) and my valves are fitted in the base of a spoke facing out very conveniently to the right side of the bike, so a right angle adapter is not needed. The threads seem perfectly normal and the connector on my mini compressor (RAC type) fits perfectly, so I think you are right that the fault is with your current pump. I don't think there is anything wrong with the bike.

I think track pumps are better than foot pumps. I've put 90deg. valve stems in when changing tyres for easier access.

I have the same bike (assuming GS not GSA) and my valves are fitted in the base of a spoke facing out very conveniently to the right side of the bike, so a right angle adapter is not needed. The threads seem perfectly normal and the connector on my mini compressor (RAC type) fits perfectly, so I think you are right that the fault is with your current pump. I don't think there is anything wrong with the bike.

ditto (except my pump is black & branded Stop n Go, but identical apart from branding) - a pump with a screw on fitting will work better than the clamp variety

Thanks for that Fred. I've seen pictures of your bike on this site and mines the same as yours.

I know that there is nothing wrong with the bike....just my pump that will not engage.

Thanks for all your replies

Ps no idea how I managed to open two threads on the same subject.

Mike

ditto (except my pump is black & branded Stop n Go, but identical apart from branding) - a pump with a screw on fitting will work better than the clamp variety

I have a Stop and Go electric pump which I always take with me when touring.

For a quick top up in the garage I find a foot pump a lot less hassle.

I agree a screw fitting is a lot better.

Mike

I use a Michelin one I bought from Halfords around 10 years ago. Always worked fine for me.

Just bought a Michelin 12200B with a screw on connector from eBay.

At £13.49 worth a punt

Mike

I haven't needed an adaptor on either my GS or previous RT - does require a bit of a shove when the clamp is fastenend but that's all.

Just bought a Michelin 12200B with a screw on connector from eBay.

At £13.49 worth a punt

Mike

I think changing to a screw type if the last one was a clamp is a good move. They take a little longer to connect, but it is a much more positive connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom