Sticking front brake lever

Disaster Area

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Suggestions please for a sticking front brake lever - it won't quite go back under its own spring, meaning the brake light stays on.

Is it just a case of taking it off, cleaning it and adding a bit of lubrication?

The Haynes manual makes taking the lever off sound quite easy - just undo the screw underneath?

Thanks!

Well, there are two potential issues here, one is that the lever itself isn't going back properly, the other that the switch isn't going off. If it's the former, I wouldn't even take the thing off, I'd just get the type of WD40 can with a straw attached and squirt some in to the pivot point, agitate a bit and free it up. If it's the latter, it takes about ten minutes, to undo the hand guard and the plastic cover under the switch, then again, squirt the switch with WD40. All easy.

Better to use GT85 which is a lubricant rather than WD40 which is a water displacer.

1100 or 1150 model ?

Different reasons for each being sticky..

Hi Disaster Area,
As you've done the piston and seal kit you obviously had the brake lever off.
I remember, many years ago, I did the same job on my 1150 for the first time - and when I refitted the lever I didn't make sure the brake light switch metal tang was in the correct position.
I can't remember now if that meant the brake light was always on or never on:rob - but it would be worth checking tab by just slipping out the lever and checking how it's sitting or should sit - also work the switch with you finger while checking lamp.

Cheers.........................Grizzly:beerjug:

A leaky brake lever on an 1100 usually causes the sleeve on the brake lever pivot pin to expand and deform which causes the lever to stick - get a new pin and sleeve. Also happens on K1100 models which use the same master cylinder set up.

Back
Top Bottom