GS TE v/s TE Exclusive?

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Please can someone tell me what is the difference between the GS TE and the TE Exclusive?

Very little is the short answer. The longer answer is the paint colour, tank decals, plus the silvery cowls above the forks are actually metal rather than plastic and don't have the GS badge. Can't think of anything else,and there can't be much more as the price difference is only about £200, at least that was the case when I bought my 2017 GS TE with the optional black paint.

Fred

Oh yes, that reminds me - as well as the blingy gold calipers it also has a black engine and shaft drive housing, where the standard TE is silver. I preferred the silver which was one reason I didn't go for the exclusive. Not sure if this is still the case for 2018 model year.

Ralley

I might be wrong but the Ralley also has gold callipers and now can come as a Ralley TE which has the same shocks as standard.

You changing again Kev?

I think all the Rallye variants have the standard GS shocks, either ESA or non-ESA for the base model. They only have the harder longer travel suspension if you specify the "Sports suspension" option, which is intended for serious off-roading and not recommended for mainly road use.

Other daft option but worth maybe £200, on a ralley sport as it was called in August when I bought mine it’s got all the toys as the exclusive, but has radiator guards and frame protectors and wider pegs and black engine, matter of personal preference really, I know at the time for cash I could have had the Ralley Sport or Exclusive for the same price.

I might be wrong but the Ralley also has gold callipers and now can come as a Ralley TE which has the same shocks as standard.

You changing again Kev?

Hi Nick, Just fishing, my Triple Black was 1 year old in September and has clicked over the 11,000 mile barrier so I’m just wondering and looking to see if there are any bargain deals on offer from dealers who are chasing last minute quotas.
I’m surprised at how much cash they are asking for to change bikes, I might be better waiting until it’s two years old, but then I’ll be trading in a bike with 20,000 miles and dealers are not keen at that mileage.
What are you riding at the mo..a TE?

It's a supply and demand thing. The market was clamouring for brown painted motorcycles so BMW cashed in by providing it at a £200 quid premium.

Black engine/shaft and frame like Rallye

It's all in the eye of the beholder, but for me this is significant feature. In combination with the silver frame paint job (which to my eyes blends well with the grey tank) makes it a neat looking bike. And whilst the Raylle is certainly eye candy, I think the colourways of the TEEx gives in a integral, road bike look. Yes, the calipers on both the Rallye and the TEEx are a bit over the top, and I could equally live with black, but again they're more suited to the TEEx than the Raylle imo.

Only the triple black would look better if it weren't for that ugly duckling big tank...

:hide

Personally I think the Exclusive looks great, but you have to see it in the flesh! Always a pleasure returning to the bike and seeing it from afar as you approach. I am biased though!

As far as gold calipers are concerned I think they blend well with the fork sliders and nobody complains about those!

When all is said and done it’s the riding experience that counts. Pink, blue, green makes no difference, though red is definitely faster.

I don't have a problem with the Exclusive colour - the description is a bit off-putting, but it actually looks quite nice in the flesh, and makes a change from the usual colours. I just wasn't too sure about the large logos on the tank, and having thought I wanted a black engine from photos, found I preferred the silver engine when comparing the actual bikes, so went for the TE with black tank and nose panels.

I don't have a problem with the Exclusive colour - the description is a bit off-putting, but it actually looks quite nice in the flesh, and makes a change from the usual colours. I just wasn't too sure about the large logos on the tank, and having thought I wanted a black engine from photos, found I preferred the silver engine when comparing the actual bikes, so went for the TE with black tank and nose panels.

Well done fred - dull world indeed if we all had the exact same tastes! They all look good (well, to GS owners...)

They all look good (well, to GS owners...)
Yes -definitely a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder, though I don't think you get a proper impression of the bike from photos. In real life it looks very purposeful and has a great presence that doesn't seem to come across fully in photos, but IMO makes it a good looking machine when you are standing next to it.

Id pay £200 for the choice

Yeah, I was being a bit harsh there. I quite like the look of the exclusive actually. Brown is a bit of a marmite colour, perhaps because it actually is marmite coloured, but I've seen bigger premiums for lesser 'premium' paintwork. Frozen chocolate is a bit of a bold move by BMW perhaps, and that's possibly worth applauding.

Back
Top Bottom