Akrapovic headers or exhaust?

Numerous threads say if you want power and torque go for Hilltop, Headers, Can in that order. I got the Hilltop and the difference is amazing.

I went the whole hog... in stages. Bought the can, fitted it - sounds lovely!
Then saved up the necessary and ordered the TI headers from Nippy’s and had them sent direct to Hilltop (after checking that they were happy with that)
Then drove to Hinkley on arrangement, got them to fit the headers, had the magic dust sprinkled on the ECU and while they were doing that, I packaged up my stock headers and organised a courier to collect them from Hilltop the next day.
Then I got to play with all that new power on my trip back across the Cotswolds.

I can only afford one or t'other at the moment. Which one would folks get first?

Headers.

Mid range improves massively and an akra can will get eaten by the salt at this time of year .

Think I’ll follow the advice and get headers and wait for a group booking at Hilltop.

Think I’ll follow the advice and get headers and wait for a group booking at Hilltop.

Go headers first as it might just be all you need mid range . If not , go to hilltop . The akrapovic can is a fashion accessory really . It reduces the weight a tad but doesn’t increase the performance at all

Go headers first as it might just be all you need mid range . If not , go to hilltop . The akrapovic can is a fashion accessory really . It reduces the weight a tad but doesn’t increase the performance at all

The reason why the headers make such a big difference is that they get rid of the stupid anti noise valve that saps the mid range torque and there is no dash fault light illuminated either .

The reason why the headers make such a big difference is that they get rid of the stupid anti noise valve that saps the mid range torque and there is no dash fault light illuminated either .

No it isn't :blast

Replacing the headers gets rid of the cat which I'd wager makes the difference, happy to help :thumby:

That’s true , they do get rid of the cat , but having a closed valve sat in the exhaust will , and does , strangle the power at around 5000 rpm . Modern Cat s don’t sap much power

If it was all about the exhaust flap sapping power, then the cheapest option would be setting the valve to permanent open. Folks would save a fortune.
Sorry but decat and sorting the fuelling is always the right answer. Things have moved on from the days of just an exhaust valve (early exups eg), the restriction to flow is the cat.

If it was all about the exhaust flap sapping power, then the cheapest option would be setting the valve to permanent open. Folks would save a fortune.

Well it certainly made a huge difference to mine .
I won’t make any difference to top end power , but it certainly helps massively with mid range

That’s true , they do get rid of the cat , but having a closed valve sat in the exhaust will , and does , strangle the power at around 5000 rpm . Modern Cat s don’t sap much power

The valve is in the headers, so by replacing the headers both the cat and valve go.

Back
Top Bottom