Extended warranty

Redmonster

Reaction score
Just had a letter from motorrad asking if I’d like the extension on my warranty for a year at £39 pm
What’s the thoughts on necessity of this as I’ll be giving it back in 1 year for a new one.
Considering they haven’t done squat for me so far with the 2 year warranty that comes with a new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on whether you can afford to fix it if something expensive goes.
Shouldn't ever buy insurance for something you can afford to fix yourself.

If you are giving it back you'll need BMW to do any repairs. That alone might make the decision.

How old is the bike?
How many miles has it done?
How many miles are you planning on doing?
Is it looked after?
What spec Is it?
Esa?
I ask because....
Suspension only covered to 30,000 miles,
Not covered for corrosion after 2 years
Other stuff covered for longer,
Final drive rebuilt is more than a years extended warranty as is replacement shock.
You also get BMW assist with warranty,
I kept mine until about 45.000 miles and got a lot from it tbh

See it it as a pert of cost of ownership... get it.. the bills will be big if you dont:rolleyes:

I suspect you should be posting this in the LC section not the Hexheads, even the newest bikes here will now be 5 years old!

My view would be yes after having a £3300 plus extended warranty claim on a 35 month old bike , others will say it is not worth it and some will even say , 'oh I keep that kind of cash in my wallet so why pay for a warranty'.

Then ofcourse you have th PCP brigade who will say 'just buy another one '

It is down to perceived risks and what you are happy with , my bikes are playthings and personally I could not afford a large bill on a basically new (ie 2 year old) bike as it would mean no holiday that year

I think it has to be a good idea .. those Bavarian bills can be mighty expensive and if circumstances change and you keep the bike then you'll know all is well.

I believe as you plan to sell it next year you are better to get the warranty. It looks good on paper and should make the bike easier to sell. The bike might even be worth at least as much more as the warranty costs.
If you are swapping it for another Beemer the warranty is a no brainer.
If you are swapping for anything else eg KTM the warranty still looks good to the part ex dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe as you plan to sell it next year you are better to get the warranty. It looks good on paper and should make the bike easier to sell. The bike might even be worth at least as much more as the warranty costs.
If you are swapping it for another Beemer the warranty is a no brainer.
If you are swapping for anything else eg KTM the warranty still looks good to the part ex dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This seems like a common sense approach methinks....

Ps, pay the extra to get nil excess, I had 3 claims in one year and if I hadn't gone for nil excess it would have cost me 300 quid for the claims,

The warranty also gives you 12 months UK & Europe breakdown cover. Well worth while if you are going across the channel. To buy this separately would cost 100 pounds plus. Alan

As of a couple of years ago the warranty now covers items for wear and tear. I thought this was a bit of marketing bullshit really which was used as a justification to put up the price, but I am now convinced that this is useful for older bikes. I have been putting up with the dreaded GS clutch/gearbox chatter/rattle for a few years which has got worse recently, this was diagnosed as excessive spline wear on both the gearbox output shaft and clutch disk. Result, new clutch (entire assembly, not just the disk) and gearbox under warranty. Didn't cost me a penny. I will be looking forward to a free clutch on my other bike when the time comes :)

As of a couple of years ago the warranty now covers items for wear and tear. I thought this was a bit of marketing bullshit really which was used as a justification to put up the price, but I am now convinced that this is useful for older bikes. I have been putting up with the dreaded GS clutch/gearbox chatter/rattle for a few years which has got worse recently, this was diagnosed as excessive spline wear on both the gearbox output shaft and clutch disk. Result, new clutch (entire assembly, not just the disk) and gearbox under warranty. Didn't cost me a penny. I will be looking forward to a free clutch on my other bike when the time comes :)

If you re having BMW do your service work this has to be well worth having. Check out the costs of a used final drive - never mind a new one. I would say however that putting 220ml in the FD really wont do any harm. BMW dropped it to 180ml after complaints of overflow from the breather. Mine has never played up and always had 200ml (later 220ml) since I bought the bike.

Never underestimate the power of BMW goodwill if you have evidence of crossing their palm with silver (more like gold) through a full franchise service history. That's what I did and, at just under five years old and with 28K miles, an ABS pump at around £1250 was given foc as a goodwill gesture and I paid £260 to have it fitted. I agree with AberdeenAngus - only get a warranty unless you can't afford to fix it.

I had the extended warranty for my 2007 K1200R. Paid for for itself when the ABS fucked up and needed replaced. Also had the fuel strip changed twice and a lambda sensor. Check what’s still covered though after certain mileage’s I don’t think suspension is covered (30,000?).

It sounds like its leased or rented on a PCP. In which case don't worry - if it needs expensive work, let BMW Finance sort it out. :rob

You are protected under the Sales of Goods Act but anything bought since October 2015 is covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which is subtly different and works a little more in our favour. Throughout the PCP period the vehicle has to perform as designed: Get you from A to B without breaking down, Work as expected without any faults and Be as described in any advert, brochure or order sheet. The Bike belongs to BMW Finance until the final payment and they are the first port of call. If you have a major mechanical problem in the PCP period; reject the bike through BMW Finance and let them deal with it. If it has failed altogether then they have to find a replacement under the Acts mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom