R1100GS mudguard bolt

West coast gser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hmm.. bought the rear mudguard/hugger for my 1100 and the small mounting screw/bolt is stuck in the final drive housing ..any idea's how I can remove the screw/bolt without trashing the fd housing ,and if I cant manage to remove it is it safe just to use the other 2 ? cheers

Heat is probably your answer. Judicious use of - but the plastic will stand quite a lot. I think they were originally used with threadlock, though I can't be sure (both my 1150's had it on those screws).

Get it all warm with a hot air gun. That's what I'd probably do.

Heat is probably your answer. Judicious use of - but the plastic will stand quite a lot. I think they were originally used with threadlock, though I can't be sure (both my 1150's had it on those screws).

Get it all warm with a hot air gun. That's what I'd probably do.

Thanks .. the mudguard isnt fitted ..I just tried to remove the screw... yeah thought mibbe heat would do but dont want to damage the fd housing ..

Thanks .. the mudguard isnt fitted ..I just tried to remove the screw... yeah thought mibbe heat would do but dont want to damage the fd housing ..
Trust me, it'll be fine. When I was in Italy this summer, after the FD bearing failed en route and I was a little spooked, I found myself feeling the FD, just as a way of checking it. Well the entire swing arm, FD etc. Was so hot it was only just touchable.

In short, it can get bloody hot,plenty hot enough to free up the screw

when i first got the 1100 and took the FD off, i stupidly misinterpreted the ‘how to’ and heated the pivot pin to 230 degrees celsius instead of fahrenheit. that’s about 450 degrees fahrenheit. it was WAY too hot. the paint on the FD didn’t bubble, or mark. it was fine. bit of heat on the FD to release that bolt will be ok i think.

Back
Top Bottom